Chapter 18

Elaine

There is no more heavy nuisance in heart than guilt. A moment of friendship with Alex brought in a package of lightheartedness and rising faith in this thing I started with him.

But every time I let myself be carried out with the current of newfound companionship, this nagging bug never fails to drag me down. He trusts me. But still, I did manage to mess this up before it even began.

I know about him more than he wanted me to know.

Does that count as betrayal?

Yes, ofcourse.

What was I even thinking when I hacked his information?

"What's with that dead look?" while I stared at the couple with their young little boy, unconsciously. The boy I had been pondering so deeply about asked. Apparently his plan to avoid Tyler and his brainless friends was to take the back route. Safe and violence free he quoted.

I smiled shaking my head, implying it's nothing, I skated back as he followed the track.

"If it's about Tyler outside then you have nothing to worry, no one saw. Even if they try anything I am right here" his words brought me to a sudden halt, Alex must've been close behind me as he slammed on my back as soon as I stopped.

Resulting in falling face-first to the ground. Since it was me who was in front, I was gifted with remarkable pain on front and a laden guy on the back.

For a second all I could hear was the greatest shower of curses and apology. Mix in a thunder of howling snorts by Noah who somehow habituated in front of my visage.

I should stop convulsing on Alex's out of nowhere citations.

Grunting and grumbling we both got up to our feet.

"I am so sorry, you halted suddenly and I just-" he trailed off as he scanned, cupping my face he arced it right and left for injuries I guess.

Rolling my eyes I blip his hand away.

On the side, Noah grumbled about being a third wheel or something as he maneuvered away.

"If you don't want to be here we can go somewhere else" once Noah was out of perception he asks, this causes more malfeasance at my doing. Why does he have to be so benevolent? So nice? I wasn't used to being treated like this.

Today when I met him near a trashcan with a cigarette in his mouth I was resolved to lash out. I spent my day perplexed over his zealous acts. He confused me.

And when he explained himself, I had to forgive him. I won't deny the fact I was desperate to meet him. And this scares me more.

"It's just-" pausing I breathed "I don't want to overthink anything. I watch behind my back every time and I am used to it by now. It's a reflex" I live by being ambiguous and with distrust, and it has not much to do with bullying. I wanted to add.

"I have an advise" he said after much thought. "Stand up to them, not entirely to the group. But when they're alone make your point. If it doesn't get through their dickheads, curse"

Surprised, I raised a brow.

"You heard right, swear at them. Tell them what you think about them. Cussing releases much of your inner pain, proven by science" he shrugged his lips twisting down warily.

"What if it makes it worse?" I adjusted my beanie, don't know what prompted me to wear it in the first place.

"I'll take care of it" he smirked. My heart skipped a beat. It was not the ruthless or mischievous boyish smirk. But one of the people with power. Now that I know about his status, I could scrutinize over the scanty details that make him stand out from the crowd.