Chapter 40

Elaine

I woke up few hours ago, refreshed but still cramped and stiff. When I pulled the blinds away from the window sill, I expected to witness the soft hue of sunset. But to my surprise it was dark already. From my room I had a clear view of the main blocks of school, which was now bathed in illuminating golden lights giving the structure a futuristic effect.

After admiring the beauty of the night complimented by the modern architecture I jumped in to take a warm shower, I changed into a black tank top and some white shorts that I had carelessly shoved inside my bag when I found it hideously sitting on the forbidden section of my cupboard. Since I was alone now, I don't see the intellectuality of not using the clothing for its purpose.

But it felt weird, having much of your lower half exposed to the chill of early January.

Brownies thankfully packed by Diana served as dinner. On the onset of a satisfied yawn I was geared to hit the bed once again.

Lying on my back I stared at the peach colored ceiling, feeling homesick. Missing the pale whiteness already.

Past week was a blur, rushing away with all the strategies and plans to get here. But now when I had accomplished the first stage, like a tumbling rubble, like a post earthquake aftermath, each question and frustration slowly logged back inside me. All with loose ends and unsaid mysteries.

I was born here.

That makes it a high possibility that my parents were from the city too. It was like a hurricane of queries and theories swirling in me, with no head start or idea where to begin from.

Debating with my conscience I decided to go to the hospital where I was allegedly born the first thing I had time.

Sleep came way too late for me that night and even now in the state of willing unconsciousness I heard someone coughing.

Am I dreaming?

But why would I dream of someone coughing?

Then it fell silent, and my mind shrugs over whatever alerted it as i drifted back to my peaceful slumber, snuggling under the thick comforter.

But then something shifted beside me. The mattress, it dipped.

As if my whole body was thrown in a cold bucket of water, it froze.

My eyes snapped open and right then a large arm looped around my waist, holding me like a pillow.

And as if some sort of awareness stroked the arm like entity it went rigid.

And that's when I screamed.

I lunged out of the bed, tripping upon the duvet and falling on derriere. The silhouette in the dark shuffled rapidly around the bed and suddenly it was bright.

Using both of my hands I covered my face.

"What the hell?" a deep sleepy voice but equally confused and angry one graced my ears.

I peeked between the fingers, the lights now survivable for my sensitive retinas. I let my hands fall to my side and scanned the culprit, nose flaring and eyes glaring.

"That's right! What the hell are you doing in my room?" I asked from the floor, my behind still humming with pain from the fall as the shirtless boy on bed scowled at me.

"Your room? This is not your room" as if he daily practices the art of creases on his fore head, the distasteful look never left his face. And I am sure it mirrored mine.

"Then whose room is it?" I asked raising a brow, confident.

"This is...this is no one's room" he said, but as an after though he added "Nobody lives here"