Chapter 59

Elaine

A ball of cotton.

That's exactly what the tissues that makes up my mouth seem to impersonate it's existence. Tasteless, weightless and aimless.

Why do I even have a tongue?

"Ms. Winters? Are you alright?" jitters. That's what tingled from the tip of my ears to the dent of my collar bone when the receptionist enquired my well being. I blinked at her, pursing lips hard in contemplation to think of an appropriate reaction.

What do I do?

Speak, dumbass! That's what your tongue is for.

"Can I have a glass of water?" I croaked as she smiled laced with empathy as she walks to the side of her desk to grab the packed bottle of water before handing it to me.

"Thank you" sniffing with a polite smile I barbarically tear the cap open as I chug the contents down. The glorious attempt on Procrastination slipped off my hands with each gulp of water I took. When I was done, wiping the soft trail of water from the corner of my jaw with the back of my hand I expected the beautiful and mannered receptionist, probably in her late twenties to eye me with a look of distaste.

But I was again welcomed by her supportive smile.

"I am sorry, I just don't feel good" I admit solemnly as she cracks a chuckle. Her cherry red lips forming the perfect sharp boat corner that can make any girl go stunned with envy.

I was stunned too. But not because of envy, but by the constant slush of flashes from last night, the night that has  clearly been white washed from my memory, only leaving behind few teasers of edges that I can't seem to separate itself from dream and reality.

But I don't remember ever going out to buy a cigarette, so the lone unlit bud that I found on my desk this morning still was a mystery.

Or i was denial.

"It's absolutely normal. I've seen the most powerful men in tux and uniforms with a look of I am about to pee in pants before going in. And you are just a teenager and you must be really special for Mr. Blakewall to cancel all of his meetings for the day to give you the first preference"

This made it worse, though it had been the day I waited for so long. Sinking and awaking in between nights to wonder what my life would be like once I find the pieces of those missing puzzles that makes up the most important glitch of my life.

When I woke up this morning, oddly sprawled in floor. The world seemed to have paused for a prolonged minute, before my head felt like it exploded and jumbled itself back before resuming the explosion.

It took me two Tylenols and two minutes of dense regret regarding my desire to eat that damn cake. It could've went on for two more hours, but my eyes fell on the digital clock by the side.

It stayed glued to the spot for some time before slowly, ever slowly it dawned on me. The reason why I was staring at a lone piece of iron with numbers.

I was late for the meeting.

The urgent phone call from Nathan was answered with a foam filled mouth that was mere toothpaste in work as he angrily barked at the way I left his apartment.

He tried to understand my foamy language when I was trying to explain how late I was, but told me to stop eating and speak up. so I hung up on him.

Pulling over a denim dress and some ballet flat I rushed out, I saw a few students in uniform with a resting bitch face, probably because it was Monday. But for me it was the day.