Chapter 41

Elaine

Consequences, that I should've been well aware of felt like a slap to my face. This was a risk I was ready to bargain for, but not prepared. Not even a bit.

It's been three days since it became official that Alexander white, the so called frost prince of Stuart would mark his freezing presence soon. This news has resulted in jolts of surprise running through the hordes, it started as a spark and now it has set the school on fire. Even the walls buzzed with student's anticipation and intrusiveness.

As for me, let's pretend that I've not been angry at my pathetic self for feeling the intense dread creeping up over my nerves whenever I hear someone even mention his name. His last words echoing like a warning jab to my gut.

"Destroy me beautifully" that's what he had said, no scratch that. Promised me with underlying unnerve if we ever were to cross each others path again.

And I, Elzina Winston. With a twisted play of fate walked right into his den.

"Elaine?" at the sound of my name my eyes snapped back to meet Riley's warm brown ones. She pursed her lips narrowing her eyes at me.

"I spaced out again, didn't i?" sheepishly I grinned as she rolled her eyes.

Riley rivers, the sweet yet awkward girl had been a great sport and a friend. Someone more than I could ask for, who hasn't judged me for what I am. After being deprived of the same sex friend for my whole life, she was like a gust of fresh air. Someone I had unknowingly wished for to by my side.

"You are so good at this" she said passing me a cartridge of pastel red color, praising my skills as I blushed slightly at her compliment.

"Thanks, but when you get to work on this with that magic of yours, it's going to be way better and beautiful. Classic must be the right word" focusing my gaze on the twirling aesthetic patterns I was landscaping, I assured her.

It was a surprise when Riley shyly revealed her field of merit. When she showed me the pages filled with exquisite edges of ink, instantly I recognized what she was. An aspiring calligraphist and no matter how much she considers herself a budding learner, her works were far more magnificent than any amateur could jostle up.

"You are saying that to calm my nerves, I am such a wreck" at that I grunted a response of disapproval. Tiredly finishing up the back ground for another poster.

Apparently Academy's yearbook contest begins next week, which involves any form of art work to be presented at it's best, from whoever the willing participants are. Among them only the foremost outstanding work will be credited in, with a boost of recognition with its representation on Academy's international level meet.

And before one misunderstands and concludes me as a participant, let me do the honors of stirring away your doubts.

For once to begin with I haven't even applied for arts, when they asked me for choices I had blindly ticked away the first five boxes, which apparently covered a complete science course.

But when Riley fretted over her pending poster and banner chore for the promotion of the event, I decided to help her.

"I still don't get it, why do this yourself when the management is perfectly capable of hiring the professionals. The more digitalized, the more appealing" I frowned questioning her, my tongue tucked over the roof of my mouth in divided concentration.

"Academy believes in enhancing creativity and places it's trust upon the hands of it's students. So the arts department is always involved with the organization and promotions. The digital billboard and advertisement slides is the job for computer unit. The science, sports and music saturate the inside event as such, and the list goes on" as she informed me I took a split second to peek around the open auditorium we were in.