Chapter 35

Elaine

Welcome to the shooting range.

Astonished I gawked at the technical marvel as a large LED screen high above the ceiling, mounted in a slant manner gave away the precautions and tips regarding the things that I only had seen actors bark over in those high-end budget action movies.

"You like it?, the way you have your mouth open signifies you do" I shut my jaws lock abruptly as I saw Alex come stand beside me.

"Just how rich are you?" I did not try to hide the veneration out of it to which he replied with a smirk.

He kept the backpack in a grey-green glass cubical and peeled the zip open. He took out a revolver and his other hand tested the texture of the bullets like they were M&Ms.

"How long have you been doing this?" I ask hesitantly.

"Since I was ten" he hits the butt of the gun on his palm twice as I gasp a little.

"Is that even legal? Teaching a kid to shoot?" I don't have much knowledge about weapons and sports. Though my study area covered science and Arts to its peak, I just had no time for politics or legal conspiracies.

He chuckled at me when he pointed the gun at me for fun, watching me react like a grumpy sloth. Though I know I have a destructive history with guns, I never developed a phobia of it. unlike waters, a bullet was something I could handle.

But it was fine till they were confined under the screens. To witness an actual gun was kind of foreboding.

"It did not start with an actual gun. I wasn't handed one until I was fifteen" he wore the goggles and the earpiece which appeared much more like a headphone. It probably vacuumed the sound around him from unrequired disturbance and provided undivided concentration.

"How good are you?"

"As good as a son of weapon manufacturer should be" he shrugged, tilting his head to the side, looking at me with an arrogant smile.

I on the other hand didn't bother to hide my surprise at this new revelation. As if my whole posture screamed doubt and uneasiness he continued.

"Not mafia or gang thing that you are probably thinking. We ace at producing leading technical arms, air force equipments and submarines for the military base in United States"Adjusting his black cap He took the shooting stance with his legs slightly parted and arms straight, his sole focus on stable breathing and the target.

He fired.

The ear-piercing shots resonating off the walls, it was similar to the one I heard that night. But this one had the edge of frustration being shot out from the body of Alex. I didn't try to shield my ears from it, because my gaze was manipulated by an awestruck emotion as I watched each shot hitting the target, mercilessly one after another, Like a piece of art.

"And that is one of the reasons why one would want me. Dead or alive, I am of use to them if they can blackmail my father for a bit of treachery by his side" he let the gun fall to the floor as he ran a hand through his face.

Dead or alive.

The term repeated itself in my head, the feeling of hopelessness to think about oneself as an object. I know the feeling like yesterday.

I could only fear for his safety more after this, he may be rich and powerful. But he was still a young boy who has been objectified by the world based on his status and their sick needs.

He tensed when I placed my hands on his shoulders.

"I never judged you Alex. All I ever wanted was you to trust me" i gave him a reassuring squeeze when he covered my hands with his.