Chapter 84

Elzina

Everything felt like it was slipping. Skidding into a puddle of helplessness as I opened my heavy, sore lids only for them to slip. Slip into a blur of meaningless tranquility.

I know I wanted to stay awake. Feel something. Anything that would alert me enough to make me realize why I wished to hurt better than sleep. I remember the days I would squirm my eyes shut, hoping for the night to take over, sleep to induce me, and a chant of silent plea for my demons to let me be. For them to leave me alone.

But tonight was different.

I wanted to wake up. I wanted to stay awake when I was not a bit cynical with the idea of seeing what I dreaded the most. I was ready to face my demons. And today, just not in my dreams.

It ached. My arms and legs. The slither of burning strains danced through my veins.

The consciousness fought for dominance as I let them be felt.

My throat dry, prickling with soreness of not being used for the amount of period that I didn't know.

And then, the suffocation in my chest. Like the oxygen was being crushed out of it, it all indicated I was getting back my senses stronger this time.

And not long after i cough out a gasp, my eyes jolts open. The wheeze of desperate breaths was all my ears rang with. The blurry curtain that coated my vision clears with each blink.

When the body sobered to neutral, the thumps of my heart ceased. Not as erratic now , the plump silence began to prevail. It painted the room with darkness, shadows more dire than how it already was.

"Slept good?" the sound of him, the voice of a traitor.

I closed my eyes, twisting my wrist. The ones that now laid useless by my sides, captive under the coils of tightly bound ropes to the armrest of a wooden chair.

"Don't strain" he was closer, in front of me. The familiar scent of old spice and cool after shave. I detected them right before me. But right now, darkness was more soothing than his face. So I tried harder, the thin rope fibers cuts through my sensitive skin. I sucked in a gasp when I felt his cold hand grab them both. Pressing my futile struggle to a halt. "You are hurting yourself"

Softer. He sounded softer. Like as if he actually was worried.

That son of a-

"Open your eyes" he requested. Gnawing the inside of my cheek I shut them tighter. I wanted to rip that voice away from him, the sound that had promised me of so many things. So much trust. I trusted him so much.

"Take. your. hands. away" hoarse. Fatigued and cracked I spit the words out. A few seconds passes off until I felt the weight of his palms lift from my wrist. But then I jerk my head to side as they cupped my cheeks.

"I said open your eyes" he growls, not a trace of him left. Hollow and demanding. He scared me "look at me"

I did.

Shamefully I accepted defeat.

He looked the same. Pale skin, dark hair and brown eyes. But there was no warmth, life or humanity in them. He looked like the imposter of boy who replicated madness. He was not Nathan.

Was Nathan even the person who I thought he was?

"Go to hell" gritting my teeth i look away, my skin crawled with disgust from his touch. When he ceased his hold on me, I breathed in relief. But it was short lived as I spotted the smirk on his face.