Chapter 86

Alex

"Where is she?"

"I don't know"

"That's not what I want to hear Doctor Brendon" low and flat, vacant of impatience and anger my voice echoes the walls, the empty cellar twists the hostile utterance into something more toxic. More dire.

"I-I don't know Thomas. I swear I don't know" the fear in Dr. Brendon's eyes was so intense and delightful that it almost made the anger in me flourish, rise so high that It taunted the control I had.

And the hold in my control was the only thing that Doctor Brendon should pray for.

"Why? Are you afraid now?" I pulled back my arm, the fist vice. But stopped from punching the brute until blood smeared across the mouth that he used to lie with.

His startled eyes looks at my deranged state. He must have seen the boy, hurt and broken, cold and sharp, ready to pounce on him if it wasn't for the promise he had made to a girl. As his features goes soft, I know what he was about to say next- and I wasn't prepared to hear that.

"I am sorry"

Just not yet.

"I had no choice Thomas"

This was not the answer.

"Keira Whi-"

"Not. Her. Filthy. Name" a finger raises in warning, the nerve pulsates against my neck as I keep my rage from pouring out. He shuts up, follows my command religiously as he looks down at his feet.

Ashamed. Defeated. Seized.

"Say that woman's name again, I'll make sure you are ruined in ways more fancy than you already are" I seethe as I feel a hand grip my shoulder. I don't turn to acknowledge who it was, it has always been Ian. Balancing the situation. The role of a custodian.

"The officials are here. Let the professional do their job" A sudden humorless chuckle escapes my lips as I shift to look at him, then turn to throw a wary, mocking glance at the traitor medic.

"Like they have been doing all this time?" I frown at the passive look Ian had. "Elzina has been missing since twenty four hours and all they did was sit behind a computer screen and track a glitching navigation that they are sure is a hoax." This time I don't hold back. Ian barely flinches at the tone of my voice. I let it spill, flood the pain in me out. I was losing it. I was going insane.

For a moment there was an understanding silence that dominated us.

"Leonard turned himself in. his confession might help find some clue Thomas. Don't lose hope"

I tear my gaze from his. The hesitation with which he watched me as if I'd burst into a mush of complicated tantrums made me aware of just how weak I was now.

Weak, vulnerable and lost.

So lost without her. So dead.

"We'll find her Thomas. She'll be okay" he said everything I wanted to hear. Everything I was desperate to happen. But the what if- the question what if- lingers at the tip of my tongue. I couldn't even bring myself to say it as he engulfed me in a hug. I buried my nose in the tall man's shoulder.

Sinking in the fatherly warmth that my sorry excuse of a parent failed.

Leonard Michael white.

A ruthless man with hunger for status. He consumed his own son's happiness, his trust and his aspirations. Stomped upon them in order to keep himself a top the pedestal.