chapter 11

Elaine

A pair of lifeless grey eyes stared at me. I mirrored it back. No matter what I did my reflection was soulless, like a mask supporting darkness beneath.

My Dad usually commented on some sort of self-motivation, wonder what his worry was. But even years later I still could remember what he said. Each word, each alignment of his advice.

'If you want to trust someone with who you can keep your full faith on, and expect to make you better, look at the mirror. You'll see the only person you could rely on. You'

I heaved a sigh, slinging my black leather backpack on. I tightened my pony avoiding as my gaze slipped to my reflection. Bags under my eyes and nose red from the injury still fading, almost gone. My Dad would've been so disappointed in me.

The firsthand knowledge of a high school washroom according to me was, it's spacious, girly, and quite dangerous, hazardous if you ask me. Anything could happen here. Personal experience adds up to the evidence.

But for now, I was admiring my lone moment, waiting for the first bell to ring.

It gets worse each day, the corridor was what graphically impersonated a battlefield. In my head to be honest, with little to no chance for me to stand against the opposite line. Tyler and his friends, plotting their best to hurt me as massive as possible.

"My life is over, I hate myself" a voice murmured from inside a solely occupied stall, and then there was a full-blown cry.

I thought I was alone. Looking stoically up at the ceiling I took an accusing breath. Was that too much to ask?

The raspy crying echoed around, confused I stopped near the door.

"Hey, are you alright there?" I frowned when it became quiet again. As if anyone wasn't even there.

My knuckles went up to knock, when-

"My boyfriend broke up with me" she whined and then there was that wail, much bigger than the last one.

"Is there anything I can do?" Awkwardly I ask. Having zero to a minus clue about what to say in such a situation or do. I decided to leave when there was no reply and just a miserable strained sound of shuffling from inside.

"Yeah," she said an eternity later. Her voice was small and scratchy.

Surprised I waited for her to continue.

"I am out of toilet papers, can you pass me one?" croaking, she requested.

Can I?

"Sure" I cleared my throat, feeling completely drained. After passing it, I could have left. But some cell convinced me to stay, at least to check up on her. I don't even know who she is.

The door creaked open and she came out, she was gorgeous, with baby blue eyes and long blond hair, reaching beautifully till her waist.

Long hair was my weakness, I used to wear them long. I inherited my Mom's hair. It reminded me of her, so much. It was painful, to see how much I look like Mom to the point that I cut it short, so I don't have to recall that night again.

I loved her so much that now even if I want to keep all those beautiful memories treasured, it came with a price, a scar that cannot be healed.

Until the justice was done.

But even then if I manage to pretend it never happened, It will still be there, like a shadow in the darkness.

"Thank you so much," she said, straightening out the creases on her dress.