Chapter 10

Alex

A large rectangular mirror hung behind the doctor, so my face reflected right through it.

Face comprised of many yellow, blue, and purple bruises. It barely resembled me. Who even stations a mirror in such a way when they could see themselves right over while having a conversation?

It's creepy.

To see look at one's wreck of an appearance while they tried to sugar coat what they actually felt to the apparently helpful precessional.

The doctor in question took her assented time, studying my reports and such, I know what's in it already, I was not bothered.

I was not at mistake this time, so I refused to pry guilty about the pulp I resembled today. But enduring my Mom's disbelief and explaining her was bothersome, she shut me out and I had no other choice than to do as she said.

"You need help Alex"

With teary eyes, she has softly entrusted this appointment to me.

"So Alex" she took her concentration away from those papers and smiled at me, the practiced and polished smile of a therapist.

"How are you doing today?" she asks, and on receiving an empty response. The flexed muscles of her cheeks flattered scarcely.

It was useless on her. It was her job and my stubborn attitude might just make me look like a ten-year-old. So I gave in.

"Good" grumbling I tighten my fist and then let loose, frowning at the raw knuckles and fairly peeled skin I soothed my throat by swallowing some moisture in. The bruises felt like being puffed off on steam, even when a simple blow of air passes over it.

Good thing the pain kept me occupied off the other grave things.

"I don't want to talk medical today, nor am I going to force you into a talk with me. But I would like to ask you some questions. Is that okay with you?" I saw her nod and look at me with expectant eyes, her brown hair was firmly clasped into a bun, and rimless glasses preached upon her nose.

Her sunny yet modest personality gave a warm aura around her, and before I knew what I wanted to say, I nodded in agreement.

"So how do you like it here, better than Florida or not?" her question was balanced, she didn't ask me about the past but of how I felt now. But I happened to be aware of those tactics more than it was healthy, all were the same. They never jumped into the harsh spot, but rather took their sweet time asking me to retell tales.

"It's fine," I say leaning back on the leather seat, this place smelled woody and comfy, strangely like home.

"Made new friends?"

I was glided back to the faces of Tyler, Jace, Karly, and few others who won't leave me alone, my nose almost twisted in a wrinkle. But then there was Elaine and her insecurities, too perplexed to judge and too strong to break. After a long thought, I said

"No"

She didn't seem surprised.

"Any particular interest?"

"A few" I saw a flicker of disappointment in her eyes. What was I supposed to do? chatter up with a lady that I never saw or knew a few minutes back. I could say this therapy is going to suck which didn't.

"What calms you down when you get mad?"

"Talking," I said without thinking much, but her next question made me uncomfortable.

"Talking with whom?"

I shifted uneasily on my seat and cleared my throat trying to think of a way to budge this one, but decided to answer truth nevertheless.

"With plants," I say clenching my teeth, embarrassed a little.

"What plants?" she asked with a full-blown toothy grin.

"The one which I grow," I say not meeting her view. The mirror mocked me with a scorching scarlet face. Sometimes I feel like I was a shame to manhood. But the other times a threat.

Mostly threat.

The session went on for sometimes, about traveling, gaming, even eating pattern was exchanged.

"Any two ways you show self-control when you're angry?" the atmosphere changed, the shift could be sensed. I closed my eyes for a second, trying to think of the ways.

"None" I clipped. My eyes snapped open "I just can't" the palpitations and sweat build up in seconds, the anger powered in me just by thinking how I can't control it.

In the end, it always won.

I got up in haste, "I think I should leave" with that I take hurried steps towards the direction that would free me.

She doesn't stop me. By the door I halt for a second, peeking through my shoulder to see her soft analytical gaze on me.

"I am sorry" I place my index on my temple feeling a soaring headache reach the spot " I am not coming back" with that I slide the door open and left.

On the reception, I scribbled some required formalities and took a fresh breath of relief as Dr. Ross saw it better to not follow me out.

I turned to bid a final mental farewell to this awful place, choking me somehow from inside.

Accidentally my rapid action resulted in me running into something soft as it gasped stumbling,

Funny was it that something was rather someone, someone that I know.

Elaine mumbled an apology,  but the real deal was when she looked up to acknowledge who I was. Her lips quivered as she took me in. Then her eyes widened. She looked at me with shock,  the kind one would if they were high on surprise.

She squinted her eyes to make sure it was me, even I had to do that at home yesterday.

"Alex?" she whispered, as if not believing her senses. I nod watching her eyes stray bigger.

But then it hits me, the place we were in. It was not manifest of being surprised to see me here or to see me decorated with purple patches anymore.

Her confused reaction. It was for an entirely different reason.

Not the shock of seeing me here.

It was the shock of being seen.

***