Chapter 82

Alex

My thoughts devolves into a crumpling mess. Half an hour next to her and I was already fighting a battle that no doubt was the result of my own stupidity. The couch would have been the best decision tonight. And to sleep on it, a wise action.

The darkness wasn't so frozen, as the streaks of night light cracked through the windows. Bathing the tension within the fore walls of my room with teasing forlorn.

She wasn't asleep yet, a peek through the corner told me she mirrored the same posture as mine. Her gaze to the ceiling. Wide awake.

"Your shirt. Where is it from?" with confident venture I ask, to wipe out the quiet dense atmosphere.

Her style of dressing had always been experimental, from large hoodies to jump suits. Dress to lethargically patterned drape tops, she has been with Diana enough to invest in varieties. Modest and trendy.

But had enough sense to don in the worn out regalia when Summersville had treated her with indifference.

It was like she was ready for the show, and didn't cared that they made her misery an aspect of their enjoyment. The thought alone had my fists in clenches. I wish them all a devastating future until they realize just how pathetic they actually are.

But Elzina had a norm, she wasn't afraid anymore. Elaine was the quiet storm who only spoke with her eyes. Elzina, was a hurricane. She wasn't forgiving.

It was like two people at once. And she balances her humble heart and dire ferocity so well. The symbolism was the complete flip by the kind she dresses now.

May be she is getting comfortable by the days spent with me.

Or she was just trying to kill me.

"Wal-Mart" her answer was like a delicate caress in silence. But I detected a hint of peachy smile in her utterance "Miss working there?"

A chuckle escapes as I wonder about my working days, short lived.

Do i? Do I miss punching in the receipt and counting down the bills? Smiling at the one who frowned, wishing them a good day when I consistently wanted to dunk there head in a large jar of mayonnaise? Do I miss it?

"No" sighing I run a hand across my head "It was torturous. I am not a people's person if you haven't noticed yet"

She laughs at the forced sarcasm. But then it fades into saddened Sigh.

"What's wrong?" quick to notice the mood shift I ask.

"we are still awake"

Silence.

"Alexa" picking my code the virtual assistant pings to life with a fading blue halo on the night table "Time?"

Two forty nine

Robotic and sharp she answers. Not fatigued like us.

Silence again.

"What are you thinking?" I ask, my voice catching on with sudden boldness.

"Nothing" she mutters, her tone a low uncertain rumble.

"Liar" I drawl out, a smile forms on my face. Inclining my head to side as I watch her, my ear pressed up against the cushion.

"What are you thinking?" striking me with her annoyed query she frowns, her vision still glued to the top. The frustration evident. Almost funny, but not when I was going through the exact same thing.

"A lot actually" I admit. Giving up on something that was futile to even try covering up. Why not just be shameless, she was mine. And it's going to be that way. Forever.