chapter 12

Alex

"Hey, where were you? I've been looking for you since lunch" Karly said walking up to me in class. I was not thrilled about having her even in one of my classes. But unfortunately, like every other misfortune, her schedule was literally an error copy of mine.

Bonus to her mere annoying existence was her clingy attitude she won't give heed to my signs of requirement towards personal space.

"Oh," my dry reply only caused her to plop down on an empty seat beside me. Her smoothly waxed and sparsely covered legs hovered closely over mine, she smiled at me twirling a strand of her hair between her fingers.

"Is everything alright?"

No, nothing will be till she'd stop trying to scratch my jeans with her heels. I moved my legs over right.

"Yeah, nothing problematic" except you, I wanted to add.

She sat there with her notes now scattered, thinking something deeply over it. One thing that I admire about Karly is for she was the first girl who broke the stereotype linked over the fact for the cheerleaders. According to that, she was bound to be dumb. Karly was anything but that.

The funny thing was she also reminded me of some certain blonde girl I knew. But compared to her ruthless and platonic nature, Karly was an angel.

She shared advanced English classes with me, as I share this further with Elaine. But I also noticed on the side, not that I stalked her but Elaine did take AP math as well and does grab extra credits through many, many ways. And she balances it effortlessly.

Like it was not a chore to her.

After lunch I was looking forward to seeing her in this class, the way she made an effort to let her guard down even a little did help me see her in a better light.

She is the kind of girl who cared for someone but is scared to show her feelings, she is just not okay with the idea of being open. It may make her feel vulnerable or she has trust issues, I don't want to think about it. But It could be a reason that she was badly hurt in past. Either way, the only method to read her was by taking baby steps and being patient.

And I have a lot of time on my hands.

I realized that a haste step towards her will send her running away, but to let her truly walk towards you With a little faith is the way to win her trust.

"Loser graces us with her disappointing presence," a guy says as some crack up. I see Elaine standing by the door, her hood up and face stern with frozen emotions. She puts her head down and walks inside, but stumbled as some girl brought her legs out on her way.

But before she falls, I move from my seat and stretched my hand, successfully steadying her by grasping her arm I icily stared at the culprit. Uneasy and quite intimidated by the naked threat hidden beneath my blank silence she gulps and looks away. Scared.

Good.

This act does get unnoticed by Elaine she brushes my hand away as if it burned her. Shocked, those grey eyes look at me and a warm redness covers her cheeks.

Was she embarrassed?

Her eyes then meet Karly's. A look of hurt passes in a jiffy.

Then she walks away. I close my eyes frustrated, calming myself by taking deep breaths as I will myself not to punch some useless faces here. Might be me who would top the list.

"How could she even live with a life like that? So pathetic, you should be glad I saved you" Karly says as she takes her attention away from the notes for the first time and looks at Elaine with venom.