Chapter 19

Alex

Drumming my fingers lightly upon the steering wheels, I pondered over the reminiscence of the day spent.

After dropping Elaine at her home, I comprehended upon my advise. Back in Orlando, I was eminent among my friends for wacky suggestions that mostly left us grounded.

Never did I entertained the idea of Elaine considering it, let alone acting upon it. Literally.

Not that I am not proud of her, it was time she stood up for herself, but I doubt my own fortitude, will I be of any protection if all I could do was punch someone when the situation arises?

From punch I recall the face of Jace, he was present at school today, though it was not all him, I quite felt he deserved what he got.

A broken nose.

Tyler and his group of jocks do not appreciate my existence anymore, evident by their hostile looks, contrary to that I am at peace. It's an impression of laceration between us. It was exceptional, the feeling of finally being hated by the people I loath. At least now they know whose side I was in.

According to Elaine, Friday was the worst of all days, the bullying burgeons a day before the weekend. She wouldn't have told me if it wasn't me noticing how restless her movements were and my constant pestering brought me the answer.

Even after all these days, she still wasn't used to it, to talk about it, she catalogs her thoughts as if it's her who is at fault like all this persecute was somehow because of her.

I see the spark fade off her whenever she sees someone intimidating strolling around the corridor, like she promptly makes herself seem small, putting her head down and clutching the books close to her.

Wish I could someday make her understand that she's not born to hide, but to shine.

I heave a sigh, it has been a long day making sure Jace was not up to something stupid. I had been with her in most of her classes, not leaving her side despite her endless protest. But I do apprehend the fact that I cannot be with her every time.

As I got off the car, the cold sun rays of the evening welcomed me with a fresh gust of air. Running my hands over the hair I made a mental notice to trim them soon, haven't been to a hairdresser since I came to this town.

The door to my home was open formerly, it was more than two months yet it felt strange to call this place my home.

The high walled iron gates and acres of land as the garden with voice recognized lock opening to a protracted doorway to the mansion never felt like home either.

"Mom, I am home" I holler upon entering, I was used to scream I am home in Orlando, only to meet with my own resonated intonation.

Though most of the time I preferred the academies dorm, the little ache to call a home my home had always been there in me.

It was crazy how I was accustomed to admitting my weaknesses so easily these days.

It was dumb. But humane.

"In my room" came a faint voice from my right as I walked in the direction of her room.

Thereby the dresser she sat on her wheelchair, her smile never faltering. Always genuine and warm. How could I have ever misunderstood her? Was I that bad of a son to not see the love behind her own mother's eyes, his own blood?

"Alex, If I ask for something will you please promise me to understand," she asked with a trifling pinch of pleading in her tone.

I stand by the doorway perplexed, "sure, is everything alright?"