Chapter 46

Trigger warning: contains portrayal of bullying and subject of self harm.

Elaine

"You have no idea what I did in order to get to the record room" This was the inaugural sentence that Nathan whispered slash yelled as soon as he picked up the call. With an elongated wink I pulled the speaker away from my ears, pressing it back when some limited seconds passed.

"I hope what ever it was, it won't land you in trouble" frowning I pout as I watched my reflection on the mirror of school's washroom.

"No, I don't think flirting with a nurse counts as crime unless the security finds out that I persuaded one of their staffs enough to help me with the restricted hospital documents"  licking my dry lips I took a deep breath, I could picture him on the other side waiting for me to say something, his brows scrunched up in scowl.

"I am so sorry" I breathed, guilt consuming the part of my spirit. "I wish I could've done it myself, it's just I have no time to spare in between school. I am sorry for dragging you in this. But hey, look at the bright side you flirted with a nurse." I chirped at the latter. But still I was no were near ecstatic at the prospect of putting my best friend in danger , no matter what. But he insisted he visit the hospital instead of me. And as stubborn as he was, he didn't even bothered informing me of his plans till now when it had already been executed. Talk about being out of the loop even when the whole loop itself embroils around me.

My suggestion hung swiftly on the line until I heard him clear his throat.

"The nurse, was actually a man"

At that my lower lip pursed as it puckered slightly, so that I could stop an eruption of apathetic giggle.

"Now stop with the sorry's. I never planned on taking you anyways, It was too risky" I rolled my eyes at his big brother stance. But the impatient tap of my foot and nervous twitch of my fingers told me it was time we break in to the issue in hand. He seem to sense the same thing as he skipped on to the core instantly.

"I wasn't able to find what we were looking for" his serious utterance had a touch of sympathy in it.

"What?" I ask in defeat. Feeling the bridge of hope crumbling inside me until he continued.

"Listen carefully El. I think there's something big going on and we are just barely scratching the surface. I wasn't able to find your records, but it doesn't mean it wasn't there. I found a trace of teared up column, like a page was ripped away. I think someone was there before me. And the motive Is quite clear, there's someone who does not want us to find things out" pressing my palms against my head I started to pace around, wiping the sweat I ask him. Ignoring the thunder and tremble of fright and anger bubbling in my chest.

"So what do we do now?"

"Lay low and wait for Blakewall dude to return. He's our only hope. Any progress with His daughter?" I thought back to the week were our strict pedantic relationship which never surpassed it's boundaries. Five days, and all I extracted from her was fourteen books and it's preparation blueprint.

"Nothing" I took a glimpse of my wrist, the watch , it indicated that I have stark five minutes till next class.

"I saw Alexander White at the hospital" I paused mid step as Nathans accusatory tone was diverted towards me. But my mind was clouded with inquisition mixed with forced nonchalance.

"Really?Any idea why?" I said biting my lips, time ticking away as I glanced a last look in mirror, running a hand through my tired face.

"He was in visitors floor, probably visiting someone." Hint of irritation was prominent in his voice but I stayed silent, no idea  what to or how to response.