Stand Up For Me (Fluff)

The 'girlfriend' in this imagine is not based on Sarah. I love Sarah and I know she'd never be like this. It's a purely fictional persona based on nobody.

*Potential Trigger Warning*

Y/N POV:

Brendon and I have been friends since we were kids. Our Moms were best friends, so it was just natural for us to become good friends. We were inseparable as kids, always playing in the yard or in the street. As we grew older, we would hang out and listen to music together and practise our instruments. When I was about 14 I had the biggest crush on him, I genuinely think it was only because he was the only guy I ever hung out with and he was always so kind to me, so it was inevitable that I'd like him. We did kiss a couple of times, but it was always awkward as neither of us knew what we were doing. But, it never went further than that.

Since then, I've met the most amazing guy, Jonas and he really is the love of my life. Brendon has had a few girlfriends, nothing too serious until he met Dani. They met at some event hosted by his label and they've been together ever since. The truth is, I really don't like her. In fact, I despise her. Not in a jealous way, I've loved all of Brendon's previous girlfriends but this girl is horrible. She seems to see me as a threat so goes out of her way to be as horrible as possible. At first, I just ignored it, not wanting to deal with her pettiness. But, even after 4 years, she hasn't relented and it's starting to get to me. She does it really slyly, so Brendon has no clue. I don't have the heart to tell him, scared he'll think I'm overreacting or making up lies.

"You ready to go babe?" Jonas says. Tonight, we're going over to Brendon and Dani's for dinner. If I'm honest, I don't want to go at all. Why would I willingly put myself in a position for her verbal abuse? But, I haven't seen Brendon in ages and I miss him.

"Ready as I'll ever be" I reply, rolling my eyes. Jonas knows all about it, as he's had to console me on several occasions, because she's reduced me to tears. He thinks I'm stupid for not telling Brendon but also understands the difficult position I'm in.

It's a 10 minute drive to their house and Dani opens the door as we arrive, greeting Jonas warmly. As I step into the house, she turns away not bothering to speak to me. Let the games begin.

"Y/N! Long time no see, I've missed you" Brendon says excitedly, pulling me into a hug. From the outside looking in, we look like a couple. But, we're just two really close friends, luckily Jonas understands. I glance over at Dani to find her giving me the evils, so I flash her the most sarcastic smile I can manage. 

At the dinner table, I'm sat opposite Dani with Jonas to my right. It's not the most ideal seating arrangement, but I'm hoping she won't be as bad tonight, not with the two guys so close. Jonas asks Brendon about tour and he launches into an account of the past few weeks. His face lights up when he talks about his music and it's so cute to watch. I look at Brendon, hanging onto his every word and laugh when he tells us about the antics that they get up to in between shows. I can see Dani glaring at me from the corner of my eye, then she gives me a quick kick on the shin. It fucking hurts and I let out a yelp.

"What's wrong Y/N?" Dani says, her voice masked with false concern.

"Oh nothing, just felt a random pain in my leg, I'm all good" I lie, running my shin and shooting a glare at Dani, who just smiles back at me.

We eat the first course, just chatting generally. During this course, Dani doesn't pull any stunts and she actually joins in with the conversation, but I'm on high alert. Afterwards, I offer to collect the plates and she offers to help me. Not wanting to cause a fuss, I keep quiet and let her help me.

"I don't know why Brendon keeps inviting you over, he's only fuelling your obvious love for him" She snarls as we're out of ear shot.

"You have got to be joking me. I'm with Jonas and have been with him for longer than your relationship with Brendon. Brendon and I have been friends since we were kids, so we're close. I'm sorry that your raging jealousy is getting in the way" I hiss back, stacking the plates by the sink.

"I've had enough of you. I see the way you look at him. I've tried to play nice, but you're everywhere! Whenever we do something fun together, he has to text you. When we're on holiday, he has to face time you. What's so special about you anyway? You work in a grocery store and you're no looker" She says, raising her voice. 

I can feel tears beginning to form in my eyes and I blink quickly, desperately not wanting to cry and let her know the impact she's having on me.

"Look, I don't make him text and call me, he does that on his own. I don't know what I've done to make you hate me so much" I reply, my voice cracking several times.

"I don't want him talking to you anymore, you're vermin" She says, coming closer so that I can feel her breath on my face. 

I turn to walk away, as I can feel my temper getting worse. But, she grabs me back and as I turn to face her, she slaps me across my cheek. Hard. From the dining room, I can hear that it was loud enough to stop Brendon and Jonas' conversation.

"What's going on in here?" Brendon asks and stops dead as he sees me clutching my cheek, which has an angry hand print on it.

"What the hell did you do to her?" Jonas shouts, wrapping an arm around me and holding me protectively.

"Dani, I think you should leave" Brendon says, his voice very quiet and steady. He's breathing difficult which means he's trying hard to retain his anger.

"What? No! It was all her, she's madly in love with you! But, you're mine, aren't you?" Dani says, her eyes darting about frantically.

"You're delusional and I was yours, but not anymore. I'll give you time to pack a bag, then I want you to go" Brendon says, his voice a bit louder but monotone.

"Brendon don't do this, I didn't mean it. I've seen the way she looks at you, surely you must have too?" Dani says, tears beginning to stream down her face.

"I think you might be deaf or just stupid. Brendon's asked you to go and pack a bag, I suggest you do it now" Jonas says, a vein pulsating in his neck.

Dani knows better than to argue, so she leaves the room reluctantly and heads towards her  bedroom, her sobs growing louder.

"Y/N, are you okay? I'm so sorry" Brendon says, quiet tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Please don't cry! I'm fine, it just stings a bit. She's been horrible before, but not like this. I didn't have the heart to tell you" I explain, suddenly feeling really guilty.

"I wish you had told me, but it just proves what a good person you are. Nobody and I mean nobody gets to treat you like that and get away with it. She's gone and I mean it, truly" He says, taking my hands and looking me directly in the eye. We hold eye contact for a few moments before he wraps me into a hug and begins rocking me gently.

Dani emerges from the room, with a suitcase. Her mascara has left trails down her face from where she's been crying. Brendon looks up at her briefly but says nothing and then turns away. I watch as she slowly walks out of the house and gets into the car, before quickly driving off.

"You mean the world to me and I'm sorry it took me so long to notice" Brendon says and I shush him.

"Don't apologise, it's okay now" 

The three of us clear the rest of the stuff up and then settle down to watch a movie. We don't talk much, not sure what to say after the events of the night. Dani texts and calls Brendon like crazy, but he simply blocks her and turns his phone off. This is why he's my best friend.