Chapter 29 (Aaliyah's POV)

"I think you're over reacting, Micio." Damien sat on the edge of the bed watching me pace back and forth.

"It wasn't her place to invite them. Don't get me wrong, I want nothing more than to have a fabulous relationship with my parents,but it's complicated. People don't understand, not only was my mother not there for me but when she was around, she mentally and emotionally abused me. My dad very rarely intervened and that was fine because he shouldn't be held accountable for her mouth nor her actions because she's a grown ass woman but it still hurt.  I just want to have peace." I shrugged.

"I think this could be a good thing. Regardless, Mo'Nique's heart was in the right place. She's thinking of what's best for you"

"I guess I just wish she would've consulted with me first."

Damien opened his mouth to speak but Celine's voice cut him off.

"Aaliyah, your other visitors are here."

"I'm coming." I hollered back.

Damien grabbed my hand and kissed it. "Everything is going to be alright, Micio."

I sighed as I turned out of his grasp and down the stairs into what I'm going to call hell.

My parents and Celine were waiting at the bottom of the staircase.

"Parents." I Greeted dryly.

"Aaliyah." My mom spoke with disdain dripping from her lips. My dad rolled his eyes at her.

"Hi, Peanut ." My dad gave a soft smile.

"Hi, pops" my lip twitched wanting to smile back but I couldn't.

"How about we go sit?" Celine offered

Everybody migrated to the living room.

"So, how have you been?" My dad asked.

"I've been okay." I shrugged.

"The twins? How are they?"

"They're great. They're in Italy, they started school there Monday."

"Italy? What the hell are they doing in Italy?" My mother snapped.

"I live in Italy with Damien."

"Who the hell is that?"

"My fiance" I pointed towards Damien.

He nodded in my parents direction but didn't speak. His jaw was tense meaning he didn't like the way this little family reunion was going.

"Damn. Didn't you and Niko just divorce? I mean you're just going to up and marry the first man that gives you a little attention?"

"Niko and I have been divorced for 2 years now. Damien didn't just give me a little attention, he's helped me emotionally."

"Girl, please, that man probably just wanted to see what black coochie tasted like. You're just a phase to him. White men don't marry black women. What the hell would he see in you anyways?"

"I've heard enough." Damien stood with his nostrils flared.

"Don't worry. The emotional abuse has only just begun." I pursed my lips.

"How can you talk to your daughter like that?" Celine asked in disgust.

"Daughter? She was an accident. I never wanted a child. She was always a little attention seeker anyways."

"Alright, Amanda, that's enough."

"She was an accident! You were the only one that actually wanted her. Had it been up to me I would've aborted her."

"Wow. You are one hateful, spiteful, miserable ass woman. And you will die hateful and miserable." I shook my head.

"Girl, you better watch your mouth, I'm still your mother."

"Nah, you're an egg donor. Always have been. I actually thought after all these years you would've been capable of change. You need some serious help because you have some extremely deep rooted issues in that hateful ass soul of yours."

" I can't believe you're going to let her talk to me like that, Aaron.."

"What the fuck do you want me to say??? You're the one in the wrong! My child has done nothing to you yet you hate her so. I've allowed you to drive her away for years and after the hate I heard you spew at her this afternoon I'm finished sitting Idly by letting you push my daughter way. Lets go before you ruin all chances of me getting my daughter back." My dad snapped at her.

My moms lip trembled as her face turned red with embarrassment. She made her way out of the house and my dad turned to look at me.

"I apologize that I've allowed this to go on so long. I would like to see you again without your mother. I love you and you know my number if you decide you would like to have a relationship with me. I would love to be in your lives, to watch you grow more into the amazing woman that you are, and to see my grands get older , and to get to know this young man you plan to marry." He walked over and kissed my forehead then turned and walked out of the door.

"I'm going back to bed." I mumbled once my dad shut the door. I was emotionally exhausted. Which is why I didn't wanna be bothered with my parents.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was the middle of the night and I was drawing hearts over Damien's chest with my fingers as he played with my hair.

"What are you thinking about, Micio?"

"Am I like her?"

"What?"

"Am I like my mother?" I looked up at him.

"Hell no."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm certain. Why would you even ask that?"

"Because I don't ever wanna be like her. I don't want my children to resent me like I resent her."

"Isabella and Kitai have the best mother a child could ask for. You're loving, nurturing, and supportive. You're everything a man could want the mother of his children to be."

"Thanks, Arden." I smiled as I leaned in and kissed his chin.

My body began to relax after that. And eventually I drifted into a peaceful slumber.