Chapter 36 (Niko's POV)

A/N: I completely forgot to upload this Saturday. My bad.

Niko's POV

"What do you mean Aaliyah's fiancé did this??" My mom asked.

"He shot me."

"But what did you do to provoke him?" She put her hands on her hips. That was the problem my mama always took up for Aaliyah. In her eyes she could do no wrong. I was always the one in the wrong.
I was still in the hospital. Because the bullet shattered one of the discs in my spine, I'll never be able to walk again. But Physical Therapy was still an option.

"Why do you always assume I did something wrong?" I sighed.

"Cause you are always wrong, Niko. Ever since you went to stay with your daddy all them years ago, you've been mean, vindictive, and just straight evil. I don't know what happened in California. And I don't want to know. All I know is you better straighten up your act before you have nobody. Honey, your children hate you, they hate what you did to their mother, yet you have no explanation. Damien is good for Aaliyah, he can handle her, he can love her, he can mend what's been broken because he understands her, he listens to her, he wants better for her. What has she done to you?"

"She killed my brother!"

"Boy, shut your ass up!" She exclaimed.

"No ma. You didn't know but Aaliyah ran the biggest Cartel to ever exist for years. That's her best kept secret and she killed my brother during a drop."

"I knew about Aaliyah, Niko. Aaliyah told me before you even got married about being a Drug Dealer. But I can guarantee she didn't know that piece of shit was your brother."

"Whoa, ma, watch your mouth about my brother."

"Do you really think he cared about you?"

"Yes."

"News Flash. He didn't. That little boy hated you. When I had you and your father and I were trying to do our thing, that little boy would do anything to make you cry and I guarantee that hate never vanished from him either. He used you just like your dumbass daddy did. Yeah I know he's a dealer out in Cali and his son was next in line for the responsibility. I didn't want you to go stay with your father because I knew he'd bring nothing but trouble. The woman that loved you from the depths of her soul is now gone because you're too stupid to see, too ugly on the inside to love her despite a mistake she didn't even know she made. She told me! She told me everything the last time I spoke to her on the phone. You made her loose a child, Niko. Do you understand the mental turmoil that can put a woman in?! Then you tried to do it again?!  I don't blame Damien for shooting you. You deserved it! You tried to take his future wife and his child from him! How would you feel if someone did that to Tasha?! Oh wait! You wouldn't care cause you don't give a damn about that woman, you're using her as a fucking crutch!"  She yelled.

I blinked in disbelief.

"You better apologize to Aaliyah and Damien. You better apologize and you better make it good and you damn well better mean it! Cause if you don't I will take those other two children from you and Tasha. They don't deserve to have a father like you, so full of misplaced hate. Fix it Niko. Fix it NOW!" She slammed the door as she walked out.

I was speechless. My mother hated me for the things I had done to Aaliyah. I still didn't feel like my hate was misplaced, I felt like Aaliyah well deserved everything I'd done to her.  She was hateful, mean, and spiteful.

A knock sounded at the door knocking me out of my thoughts.

"Come in."

A face I hadn't seen in 3 and a half years.

"Mo'Nique??" I asked in disbelief.

"Niko." She said tightly.

"Damn girl, how you been??"

"Fine. I would ask you but your current state is evidence enough that you aren't okay."

"Well, you know, shit happens. Aaliyah send you to finish the job?"

"Niko, you know that woman would never kill you nor have you killed. But Damien might. That's why I came to tell you on behalf of her and him; don't make this harder than what it is. Let it go. And I'm telling you as an old friend to let it go. Aaliyah didn't know that man was your brother and let's be realistic, Aaliyah loved you so much had she known who he was she would've never pulled the trigger."

"We don't know that." I snarled.

"Deep down in your heart you do. You know she would never do anything to intentionally hurt you. She loved you that much and you knew so you used it to your advantage. Leave her be. Let her live her life. Let her be happy. And while you're at it mend yourself, let go of bitter Tasha, and find your own happiness, true happiness, Niko. When you let go of that hate you'll feel so brand new, so, alive. I mean seriously. Please do that for me, for a friend."

I sighed. "Alright, Mo. I'll try."

"Thank you, Niko. If you need anything don't hesitate to call me. But also if you don't drop it, I will come back and finish the job. Not on Aaliyah's orders but on my own. Got it?"

"Got it."

She left without another word.

I knew Mo'nique would live up to her word because she was Aaliyah's best friend after all. They were much alike in the aspect of values. And one thing they valued was loyalty and trust.

She was right, as well as my mother. I needed to let it go, I'd been holding on to this for a decade now and I just needed to let it go. Mend the relationship with my children and my mother. Because I did love them.

I knew Aaliyah would never hurt me intentionally unless she had to. I just wanted to believe she was the evil bitch everybody said she was.

I should've known better though because out of everybody in the world she'd trusted me the most. She had trusted me so much that she'd let down her guard and loved me. A love I never deserved. A love that I should've cherished.

Now I have to watch another man love her like I should've and receive her undying, unyielding love.

I'll more than likely spend the rest of my life time regretting the things I've done but I did this to myself therefore I can not be upset.

I will apologize to Aaliyah. Then I will heal the self inflicted wounds I have caused