Chapter 30 (Omniscient POV)

The next morning Aaliyah, Damien, and Celine went out for breakfast.

They say at the table in a comfortable silence but Aaliyah knew that silence wouldn't last long. Celine was fidgeting and biting her lips; just itching to bring up yesterday's events.

"So, Liyah, how are you feeling?" Celine finally broke the silence.

"I feel alright." Aaliyah shrugged glancing at the woman, not delving into details. Truthfully, she was emotionally exhausted. She tried not to dwell on it too much considering she was pregnant.

"I'm still baffled at what transpired yesterday. That woman hates you, Aaliyah. Now I see why you stay away." Celine's jaw tightened in anger.

Celine's anger had been brewing all night. The way Aaliyah's mother spoke to her had her seething. She could never imagined talking to her child that way not when they can be taken away from you at any given moment.

Celine never understood why some parents felt like it was okay to demean and belittle their children, to tear them down. Most parents damage their children mentally and emotionally before their peers ever can. And that shit was sad.

Folks didn't understand that you have to uplift your children even when their wrong. Tell them that 'you taught them better, so, be better, do better.'

Aaliyah's mother belittled her every chance she got and even though Niko had a lot to contribute to the hate in her heart, her parents did as well, and she was already bitter before Niko.

But Aaliyah simply shrugged her shoulders at Celine's statement. She didn't wanna talk about it.

"I think we should tall about something else." Damien shrugged.

"Let's talk about the baby. Do you want a boy or girl?"

"I don't care. As long as the baby is healthy." Damien stated.

"I want a boy. Only because I'm not ready for another head full of hair like mine or Isabella's."

"You hardly ever style your hair. You wash it and throw it in a bun."

"You can always cut it." Damien suggested.

"Scusi?!?" Aaliyah looked at him like he had slapped her in the face.

"You can always cut it......" he repeated.

"You better stop while you're ahead, Damien." Celine suggested.

"What was wrong about the suggestion?"

"Native Americans do not believe in cutting their hair. It ties them to Mother Earth." Celine explained.

"It's a physical manifestation of the growth of ones spirit...." Aaliyah retorted as a matter of fact.

"Alright, I'll never suggest hair cuts then."

"So, when are you guys going back?"

"Tonight. I miss my children." Aaliyah really did miss the twins. They were her everything.

Aaliyah and Damien spent a few more hours with Celine now they were on their way to the airport.

"I'm so excited.. I get to see my babies! It been almost a week since I've last seen them." Her leg bounced up and down in anticipation.

"I'm certain they're ready to see you too." Damien laughed at his anxious fiance.

"It's been a long time since I've been away from them like this. I mean even when I was traveling with my team when I was Athletic Training, I would only be away from home for like  2-3 days."