Chapter 41 (Aaliyah's POV)

Aaliyah's POV:

I think the one thing that bothered me more than anything in the world was the possibility of my children finding out about the things I've done. I may not voice it a lot, but It plagued my mind.

I know the things that I do are wrong, and they will send me straight into the pits of hell, but I've come to terms with that, I came to terms with that a long time ago. What I couldn't come to terms with is the possibility of Isabella, Kitai, or any of my other future children looking at me differently because of the things I've done. I love my children with every fiber of my being and I would do anything to make them happy. That's why I intend to keep them naive about Damien and I's lifestyle as long as possible. Although, I knew there eventually find out.

I pulled myself from my thoughts and went back to looking over a few financial files from the hotel we purchased for the purposes of remodeling. It looked like a great spot to lay your head in its hay day but around 2009 it lost its public appeal.

As much as I was trying to focus on the papers in front of me it was hard because my mind kept referring back to my children and Nikos's letter to me.

Damien read it to me last night and we'll I was numb. I really wanted to continue to hate him. But holding a grudge would only allow him to keep power over me and I needed all my power back. I think sometime between last night and this morning I forgave him though. I felt lighter and relieved. Now I could allow my children to go see their father freely without my chest constricting in pain. Maybe now Damien and I could have serenity, but I knew that would never be an option if he was in the mafia.

"Bella, how are you feeling?" Marcella waddled into the library.

"I feel okay. Is Arden home yet?" I asked taking the tea out of her hands.

"No. I begin to get worried. It not like him to be late."

"I know." I had been trying not to let his prolonged absence get to me, but Damien was always home before dinner and if he was going to be late he called. This made me antsy. Not to mention the baby was antsy too, he or she had been doing flip flops in my belly since Damien left this morning.

"He will be okay. He always is." she reassured me.

"MA!" Kitai yelled as he rushed into the library and over to the love seat I was curled upon.

"Yeah, hun." I reached out and pulled him into my arms.

"Mr.A is hurt."

I stood as quickly as my large belly would let me and made my way downstairs.

"Bella, be careful." Marcella yelled after me and I waddled my way our of the library and down the stairs.

When I finally got to the bottom if the steps he was covered in blood, slumped against the wall. My heartbeat slowed as I walked towards him.

I knelt beside him and checked his pulse. It was strong but he wasn't moving.

"Arden, Arden, can you hear me?"

I didn't receive any verbal response, but he did move his finger slightly.

I began searching his body for any wounds and there was bullet hole in his right side.

"GIO! GIO!" I YELLED.

"Yes, Madam." Gio waltzed in with his eyes closed but when he looked me then down beside me his carefree attitude completely disappeared.  "Oh shit."

"Help me move him to the couch, so, I can remove the bullet and sew up the wound." I leaned down and placed one of Damiens arms over my shoulder.

"Bella, No! I've got this." Gio slide Damiens arm off of me and picked Damien up with ease.

"Please, Go rest. I'll do this." Marcella nudged me towards the stairs.

I went upstairs and bathed the twins then put them to bed as quickly as I could but they had questions and well I avoided them. When I got back downstairs Marcella was already finished sewing up the wound.

"Jason is on his way to Check his vitals and make sure everything is okay. Then I'll move him upstairs to the bedroom." Gio informed me.

"Okay." I sat on the loveseat across from the couch damien was laying on so I could keep an eye on him.

I knew something like this would happen one day, I just didn't know when. That was the thing about being in the mafia or in a cartel, you never knew when a day would be your last. All you could do was hope and pray that it was never anytime soon. Especially if you had a family.

"Micio, you're staring." Damien spoke after a good 15-30 minutes of me staring at him lost in thought.

"What happened, Arden?" Was the only thing I could get out of my mouth in that moment. Even though I was glad he was okay, that question was in the forefront of my mind this entire time.

"If I tell you then you have to promise me not to do anything rash."

I pursued my lips and didn't respond. I wasn't about to make any promises I couldn't keep. Nine times out of Ten I acted on impulse, so, I'd be lying if I made that promise.

"Come sit with me."

"You and I both know that we are both too big to fit on that couch together." My mouth twitched into a slight smile.

"Then let's go to our bedroom."

"No. You aren't allowed to live until Jason gets here."

"And why not?"

"Because he needs to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine. Trust me, Micio."

"No, Damien. You were shot. Your will lay there until Jason gets here. Do not be hard headed." I growled.

Damien's lips curved into a smirk. He thought this was funny. Granted I had become very submissive over the course of my pregnancy and I was okay with that. Damien took care of me in every way, shape, and form, so, I let him have control. But one thing I wouldn't let him gamble with was his life and his health.

"Fine, Micio. I'll let you have your way this time."

"I always get my way, Daddy."

Damien then opened his eyes and stared at me.

"What?" I smirked.

"Nothing. I can't admire my fiancé?"

"Who shot you, Damien?" I asked letting my smirk drop.

"You know I don't like the fact that you keep calling me by my first name. What happened to Arden? I liked that better."

"Stop avoiding my question."

A knock sounded at the door breaking our conversation. I huffed and struggle to get out of the low love seat.

"You know I could get that. I'm sure I can still move a lot quicker than you."

"Oh, shut the hell up." I rolled my eyes as I finally managed to stand up and headed to the door.

When I opened the door there were three sets of eyes staring back at me. One set I didn't expect to see and I knew for a fact All hell was about to break loose.