Four - Cosy confidence

The next thing she knew she was being hurtled on to Jacob's floor. He'd rolled over so quickly and forcefully that she was unceremoniously thrown to the floor. Jacob awoke with the noise and sat up straight in bed to see what was going on.

"What are you doing here Ness?!" He said surprised, looking down at Renesmee's crumpled heap. "And what are you doing on the floor?" He said, reaching down to give her a hand up.

"I'd come to speak to you, but fell asleep, then someone rolled over in their sleep and knocked me on to the floor," she said whilst getting to her feet.

"Aw sorry, are you ok sweetie?" He asked sincerely, whilst looking her over for any bruises or marks.

"Yea, I'm fine, it's not your fault, it was just a surprise. Anyway, I can get cosy under the covers now!" She said, rummaging through one of Jacob's draws and pulling out an oversized t-shirt of his, oversized for Renesmee that was. She quickly got changed into it, rolling her eyes at Jacob's moans to give him warning if she was planning on changing in front of him again.

"You've never been so protective over my modesty before," she said.

"Well I'm starting to think one of us should be," he replied.

"Anyways," she said as she lifted the bed covers and snuck into his bed. "You're worse, always shredding your clothes when you go all wolfy and have to stroll around in the nude!"

"Well that's entirely different," he said pulling the covers fully over her as he spoke. "I can't wear clothes when I 'go all wolfy', I don't have much of a choice. Plus I hardly ever shred my clothes nowadays, thank you!"
She giggled at him.
"Anyway, what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked, in a tone so breezy it could be easy to forget that he'd just been jolted awake at four in the morning.

"Oh well it's late, we can talk in the morning," she said.

"No come on, out with it, that's why you came over this late. Oh wait, did you tell your parents you came here?" He said lifting his head in panic.

"Yes, I text Mum to let her know" Renesmee quickly replied to calm him down.

"Oh good," he said relaxing his head back to his pillow and looking her in the eye. "So what's up Nessie?" he asked.

She paused for a bit, not wanting to sound melodramatic.

"Well nothing's up really, but I don't know what to do. 'Cos, well..uh, I kinda got asked out by a guy tonight," she stopped to assess his reaction. His expression didn't change, he showed the same interest and concern as he had before she started.

"So what's wrong with him?" He asked.

"Nothing's wrong with him, well apart from the fact he got a little drunk before asking me, so I told him to ask me again on Monday after school, if he's still interested," she confirmed.

"Good idea, so are you worried he won't show?"

"No, well I wasn't, not until now!" She said smiling. "No, I'm more worried because I like him, but have no idea what level of control I'll have around him. What if some instinct within comes out, I hurt him and expose us all. I've never kissed anyone before, I don't know what will happen."

"Hmm, I'm not sure either. Yea you're half vamp, but remember that you're half human too. You've got amazing self control, you probably inherited most of it from your Mum. Look at how good you are around your Grandpa Charlie, total self control, and obviously around me, but I don't think that counts for much owing to the less than 100% human part of me." He said encouragingly.

"Yea I guess," Renesmee replied not entirely wholeheartedly.

"Well I could hide in the bushes and if you start to rip his throat out I can leap in and stop you. But I don't reckon you'll love the idea of me stalking you on your date, even if it's for your benefit," he concluded.

"Ha! Yea you're right about that!"

"Or you could just not get too close to him, keep a bit of distance for a few dates," Jacob suggested.

"I've been kinda doing that already at the parties we've been at together, it's getting past that point now." She said, slightly blushing. "Why am I telling you all of this anyway?" She asked Jacob abashed.

"'Cos I'm your best buddy Jake who you can speak to about anything! I like to sometimes call myself SUPER JAKE!" he replied.

"Oh yea, you're my super modest best buddy!" She giggled before asking him, "So what about you? You got anything you want to talk to me about? Anyone got your attention?"

"No not really, nothing like that," he said.

"Oh is that 'cos of the imprinting thing? You've not yet found your soulmate. Does that mean you can't date in the meantime, or is it because you don't want to create another Leah if you imprint on someone, whilst you are already dating someone else?" she asked, trying to get her head around it all.

"Which question would you like me to answer first?" he said to her with an amused smile, before he continued. "It's not as complicated as the whole Leah thing. Her and Sam were in love before he imprinted on Emily, he broke her heart when he did so, as he could not keep away from Emily, she was his soulmate. Luckily Leah is much better now of course.

None of that is an issue for me as no one has caught my attention yet and I'm perfectly happy and content how I am. I do agree with you though that it could be unfair to date whilst you are waiting for 'the one', because you could end up hurting someone."

"Isn't that what the whole dating game's all about? I don't necessarily think that Ethan will be 'the one' but, well, you never know and what if you never imprint? You'll be batchelor Jacob for the rest of your life, living in my attic and babysitting all of my children. Now is that really what you want?" she commented.

"Right, that's enough from you tonight," Jacob said whilst pulling the covers over her head to shut her up. "It's time to sleep, otherwise you'll be a right nightmare in the morning," he concluded.

She pulled the covers back so she could see again, then said,

"Ok, I'll shut up, but just give it some thought, I want to see you happy!"

"I'm happy right now, happier if I was asleep," he replied, with a soft smile at her.

"Ok, night, night Jacob," she said, then leaned over and kissed him on the cheek for the first time in a while, she used to do it when she was little, but had grown out of it even though he continued to kiss her on the forehead.

"See, you didn't even consider ripping my throat out," he said commenting on her peck on the cheek.

"That's what you think!" She said with a wry smile.

"Night, night Nessie. You'll be fine," Jacob murmured as he placed his signature kiss on her forehead.