Twenty One - Fair's fair

Jacob was very quiet for the whole journey, this was not like him as the conversation normally flowed easily. When he did respond he sounded like he was watching every word he said, he also kept glancing at her and when she caught him, he looked away guiltily. Had everyone taken odd pills today or something?
They parked up and got out the car, she walked to him.

"You look very nice today Mr Black, I can't remember the last time I saw you in full length jeans, and a shirt too, you're really spoiling me!" she said placing a hand playfully on his chest. She could feel his heart pounding underneath her hand, no it was more like fluttering, it was beating so fast she could hardly hear the individual beats. He gently moved his body away from her hand and quickly turned and faced the fair.

"Right let's go!" he said, starting to walk, not looking back at her. She caught him up and they walked in silence for a bit.

He broke the silence finally saying to her,

"So, am I gonna have to torture it out of you or what?"
Renesmee racked her brains, what did he mean? Why did she feel like she was totally out of the loop today?

"Torture what from me?" she asked.

He giggled

"I'm seriously starting to doubt your feelings for this Ethan guy, he must be getting a complex, the amount of times you've forgotten about him now! After what I had to put up with all last week I thought you wouldn't shut up about your date today!" He said, a mixture of surprise and humour in his tone. He looked at her whilst waiting for her response.

"Oh yea, it was good thanks" she said, not wanting to tell Jake too much about it for some reason.

"Really? That is all I'm getting? How was your meal?" he asked.

"Yea the meal was good, very tasty," she said not sure why she was unable to divulge any more information freely. He smiled slightly at her lack of cooperation, then continued probing her.

"And what of your company?" he asked, his voice a little tighter.

"Yea he was great fun thanks, we had a giggle together. He's very easy to get along with. I was good and did what you said and only went on the rides last night, so the stalls are all ours today!" she said.

"Excellent stuff," he said.

Then it looked like he was struggling with what he wanted to say next, finally managing to say,

"I think you are avoiding one topic, which it is generally uncustomary for a gentleman to ask about. I don't need details, but perhaps you can tell me that your date lived to tell the tale, that might be something at least." he said not properly looking at her. She could feel herself blushing and was very careful with what she said next.

"Yes, he did survive the ordeal of a date with me," she said with a sarcastic smile at Jacob. "All thanks to a fantastic person in my life that I like to call Treeboy" she teased him, poking him in the chest. This seemed to bring him back to normal.

"Oh yea Boggirl?" He said playfully wrapping his arm around the back of her neck and giving her a noogie. She fought back by trying to tickle him around the waist, but soon gave up. Jacob moved his arm down from her neck to her shoulders, allowing her to stand up, she looped hers around his waist.

They giggled at each other. It felt good being back to normal again, she couldn't describe the feeling, it was like everything was back in its place, she was comfortable and happy.

Renesmee and Jacob worked their way around the fair, having a go at practically every stall. Often the owners of the stalls would give Renesmee an amused expression when she said she wanted a go, obviously thinking that she not only wouldn't manage the activity in question, but she would make a fool of herself in the process. She loved wiping the smirks off of the faces of people like that. Jacob seemed to like it even more and she would often spot him smiling proudly behind her.