Thirty Seven - Foolish sacrifice

"I don't recognise them," she said worriedly to him.

"It's the same ones from the other day," he said warily, getting to his feet.

"Go get the others. You, Rachel and Kim stay inside, lock the doors and make sure no-one leaves the house," he said to her.

"Rachel and Kim are well equipped to manage that themselves, I'm more use out here," she said firmly, whilst making her way towards the house.

"I'm not happy about this, but we haven't got time to argue," he said. She called back to him.

"Make sure you change out of those clothes before phasing, otherwise these vamps will be the least of your worries if Alice gets a hold of you!" She said and heard him giggle slightly.

She sprinted back to the house and called to the others, knowing that the wolves alone would be able to hear her. She told them to exit the house as subtly as possible to not raise any alarm, as the worst thing they wanted was people wandering outside to see what was going on. She told Jared and Paul to issue the instructions to Kim and Rachel.

The pack members started appearing in dribs and drabs. Quil and Embry were the first to make their way outside. They started undressing en-route and handed their clothes to her as they passed her, she tactfully averted her eyes. They phased and went to join Jacob. Seth, Leah and Kele were next, the two girls opting to change behind a tree quickly, they reappeared as wolves with their clothes in their mouths for Renesmee. Eventually the whole pack was out and Renesmee put their clothes in her car.

Renesmee had so much faith in the pack that she hadn't been worried initially by the unexpected visitors, but as she stood outside the house and thought of all her friends inside, she couldn't help but feel a little unnerved. So she was pleased when she saw that the wolves had started to circle the house. She spotted Jacob in the trees and made her way towards him. She had only been near him in battle a few times, each of those times she had been concerned for him. She knew he'd fought off many Vampires through the years, but when he had spoken of the battles he always did so with such good ease that she had not felt worried. It was so different seeing him potentially go off to battle first hand, she again started feeling extremely protective over him. She hated it and kept thinking of ways to try and stop him. She also knew there was nothing she could say or do to stop him, as pack leader he could not fail them, he would not fail them. She knew him so well, she knew there was no where else he'd rather be right now. This didn't make her feel any better about it though.

Even though he couldn't speak to her in his wolf form they'd figured out a system through the years to allow them to communicate basic instructions, so she was surprised when he approached her and phased back to human. She had never seen him phase back so close before, it was pretty impressive. This close she could see the individual stages of his phase. She watched as his wolf face merged into his human face, until finally it was his fully human form in front of her.

She amused herself for a split second, that his face was equally as impressive as the transformation she'd witnessed. Her concerned feelings for him, soon removed these thoughts. She moved a slight distance to close the small gap between them and reached forward to him, placing both her hands either side of his neck, tangling her fingers in his hair and staring at his face intently. At the exact same time Jacob had reached forward to her and placed both his hands either side of her face and was staring at her with a focused expression. He spoke almost immediately, fully aware they didn't have much time.

"Half of the pack are going to stay here with you to guard the house, me and the others are going to try to head them off to make sure they don't get any closer. We're hoping this won't turn into any sort of fight. The vamps haven't come any closer, so I think they've just been lured in by the party and have probably sensed our presence by now, so this will hopefully stop them from enquiring further. But we're worried about why they are still in the area at all, so it makes them a little unpredictable.