Thirty Three - Sisterly support

The next day she woke up when Billy brought her coffee in bed.

"Morning Nessie," he said, while placing down her cup.

"Morning Billy," she replied.

"So what did my Son do to banish himself to the sofa?" he asked.

"Nothing," she replied, "it's just a bit of a tight squeeze in here nowadays.''

She slowly dragged herself out of bed as Billy returned to the kitchen, Jacob appeared in the doorway. She smiled at him, walked up and gave him a massive hug, in return she received one of his bear hugs. She instantly started feeling a bit better about last night, as if he were removing her worry.

They exchanged good mornings, then right on cue, Paul and Rachel turned up. Rachel eyed Renesmee's and Jacob's hug suspiciously.

The place soon became a hive of activity as Billy started to prepare breakfast for everyone, helped out by Jacob. As expected, Rachel made an excuse to get Renesmee alone and out of earshot of the others.

"It's a bit stuffy in here, fancy coming for a walk with me, whilst this lot sort out our breakfast?" she asked.

Renesmee looked towards Billy and Jacob for help, unaware of her predicament they smiled back kindly at her.

"I can't leave you to do all the work," she said to them. Unfortunately her kitchen skills let her down, Billy answered a little too quickly, obviously pleased to have her as far from the kitchen as possible.

"Yes please do. We'll have it all ready for you when you get back.'' Clearly there was no way out of this.

"Ok, I'll just chuck some clothes on," she said.

Minutes later she was walking with Rachel away from the house towards the trees. She knew she was being led to the point where they would be out of earshot from the wolves in the house and predictably it was after this point that Rachel stopped and turned to her.

"So how are you doing?"

"Yea I'm good thanks," Renesmee replied, "you? Still enjoying living with Paul?"

"Yea everything's great thanks, still can't get over how much that boy eats though!" Rachel replied. She paused and looked like she was considering what to say.

"So everything else ok with you? You and Jake cool?" she asked. Renesmee knew they were getting close to what Rachel wanted to ask her.

"Yea, fine thanks," Renesmee replied.

"Yea?" Rachel enquired, then looking slightly awkward continued, "Is there anything you want to talk to me about?" She asked. Renesmee wasn't going to make this easy for her.

"Like what?" she said.

"Like about that memory you accidentally showed us last night," Rachel replied, "Is there anything going on between you and Jacob?" Renesmee immediately blushed, even though she had been expecting this. She still hadn't figured out in her mind how much to tell her. They had always got on well and she knew she could trust her, just as long as Paul didn't find out that was, otherwise the whole world seemed to find out in a microsecond.

"No, nothing's going on," Renesmee admitted truthfully, "that memory you saw was just a freak occurrence, Jacob was playing about," she said less truthfully now.

"Really?" Rachel replied, "'cos it looked pretty intense to me and you seemed to enjoy it," she said, this time with a slightly teasing smile. So that was the feeling that attached itself to her memory, that she enjoyed what he was doing, she felt a slight bit of relief, at least she hadn't put out there how in love with him she was. This would explain Jacob's smugness also, that he knew she'd enjoyed it. Renesmee was unsure what to say to Rachel, she desperately wanted to talk about her feelings for Jacob with someone other than her ex, but was Jacob's Sister really the best person to confide in right now? What if she said something to Jacob?

"Well it was a bit of fun, nothing really in it," she lied.

"So you haven't got any feelings like that for him?" Rachel asked, then seemed to realise she was perhaps prying too much, added, "Look, you don't need to tell me if you don't want to, I'm not going to be offended. I'm probably the last person you want to discuss this with, but I want to make sure you've got someone to talk to. Anything you tell me won't go any further, you've got my promise on that."
This gave Renesmee a bit more confidence in chatting to Rachel, so she decided to disclose a diluted down version of how she was feeling.

"Whatever I tell you must remain a secret," she said, "especially from Paul."

"I understand, it will," Rachel replied.

"I don't want to discuss this too much, but let's put it this way, I wouldn't say I don't have a few slight feelings for him," she divulged. Rachel's eyes popped and she smiled excitedly, bouncing up and down.

"Really?!" She said, "That's brilliant news!"

"Don't get too carried away," Renesmee said, "I only implied that I might have a few feelings for him." She was desperate to play down her real feelings.

"Yea I know, it's just sweet after all these years, of course you'd start feeling something. When did you first realise you had feelings for him?"

"It's been coming on gradually, but that memory you saw from Friday, that was when I realised."

"Aw Nessie!" Rachel said, leaning forward and wrapping her arms around her. Renesmee hugged her back gently. It felt good to finally tell someone who could understand, even telling Rachel a fraction of her true feelings for Jacob was quite exciting.

"So have you got any idea if he feels the same way?" Rachel asked.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," Renesmee asked. It was Rachel who was the one taking her time to answer the question now. She appeared to choose her words carefully.

"Well you know how nuts about you he is, he'd happily take a bullet for you that one! In the terms we're speaking of, then I'm afraid you'll have to find that out yourself," Rachel said.

"What good are you?" Renesmee replied with a smile, but secretly took a bit of comfort in Rachel's words. She'd not said 'no' outright, so there could be reason to hope, if she ever allowed herself to.

"I know!" Rachel said smiling in return. "Come on we best be getting back otherwise Paul and Jacob will have devoured the whole lot," she mused.

"Look, I'll be true to my word and not mention any of this to anyone. Please don't feel that you need to be any different with Jacob when I'm around, just cos 'I know', just be yourself." Rachel said giving her a one armed hug as they started walking back.

When they got back inside the house it was like they'd never had the conversation. They both slipped back into their normal routine, whilst they ate their breakfast.

When it was time for Renesmee to go, Jacob offered to run with her home, but she refused, hoping to use the journey home to sufficiently bury her thoughts about Jacob deep in her head. She didn't have much confidence that she would be able to manage it, as she couldn't stop thinking about him.

By the time she got home she had managed to bury her thoughts to the best of her ability, but still, not entirely confidentially she entered the house.