Twenty Three - Torn in two

She picked up Jacob's wolf scent, which was a lot stronger than his human one.

Her stomach contracted with worry, Jacob had never accidentally phased in all in all of the time she'd known him. He was the most controlled out of the pack. So the only reason he had for shredding his clothes as he phased was when there was an emergency and he had no time to change. He also didn't like to phase in the open like this in case anyone saw.

What emergency had arisen? Was everyone ok? The pack? Her family?

She doubled her speed as she tracked his scent, entering the wood. Twisting and winding around, she was quickly deep in the forest.

His scent was increasing, like he'd slowed down. Renesmee was alert, whatever danger he was running to she didn't want to run straight into it by accident.

She slowed her pace, then spotted Jacob up ahead. He was in his wolf form, but was stood still. Renesmee looked around in the forest, she couldn't see, smell or sense any danger. Confused she focused her attention to Jacob.

He stood shaking his head in a manner of someone trying to clear it of something.

He looked up as she approached and flinched backwards. His eyes looking at the ground and his face boring a sad and embarrassed expression.

She walked forward a few more paces towards him, he instinctively stepped away from her and let out a small growl. She wasn't offended by his behaviour, there had been a couple of times when Jacob had been so pent up that he wouldn't let her near him until he calmed down. She'd learnt that if she got any closer then he would just turn and bolt, so she stayed put.

"Jacob, what's wrong? Are you ok?" she asked in a soft voice cracked with worry. His head still faced the ground, his eyes darted back and forth as he appeared to consider his response.

He eventually nodded his head in a non-committal way. She knew from this that he clearly wasn't perfectly alright, but she also knew that there was nothing too seriously the matter.

"How come you phased like that? Is everyone else ok?" she asked him concerned. He was quick to respond this time and nodded his head. Her stomach relaxed for the first time since his disappearance. Then she finally asked,

"Are we in any danger?" he shook his head.

"Okay, good.

Right, just sit down and take it easy for a bit until you're able to phase back," she said compassionately to him. Then set an example by sitting herself down against the nearest tree.

It took him a little while, but he eventually followed suit and sat down on the ground, his head slouched on his front legs.

Renesmee remembered something that might make him more comfortable about returning to his human form. She opened her bag and routed around, she saw Jacob tilt his head slightly in her direction to see what she was up to. She extracted a plastic bag and chucked it towards Jacob, saying,

"There you go." It landed next to his front paws, he poked at it to see what it contained.

"I always carry a spare change of clothes for you, in case of this exact situation. It's a shame though as I really liked that shirt and jeans, we'll have to take you shopping for replacements," she said.

He was looking at her with soft eyes as she spoke, but as soon as she'd finished he resumed his perch on his front paws.

She studied him concerned, he looked deep in thought as if he was struggling with something within himself. She had a tough time trying to make sense of it all, several different options popped into her head that might have set him off like this. Maybe someone at the fair had done something to trigger him. Ethan's friends had seemed nice enough but maybe they'd said something horrible as they left.