Forty Eight - Race time

They sat around whilst the third group were out setting their times. When they came back in the staff placed the results up on a big board on the side of the circuit. One of them commented that the lap record had been beaten by no less than nine people, something they'd never seen before. Renesmee spotted herself in sixth spot, she noticed that Jacob had pole, which meant that they'd be racing in the same group. Also with the reversed grid he would be starting behind her, she smiled at this, because if he wanted to win he'd have to pass her. She saw Esme was in the slowest group, inevitably thise who blocked her were also in that group.

Jacob reminded them of the rules and points, then the slowest group, group three, went out. They completed one warm up lap then lined up on the grid. The race would last fifteen minutes. Esme was the only Vampire in this group, she was positioned seventh out of the eight runners. It was clear from the start she had a vendetta against most of the wolves in her group, as they were the ones who had blocked her. She carved her way past them, ramming them out the way slightly and ensured there was no messing around. It was therefore no massive surprise that Esme returned to the pits as the winner, earning the Vamps fifteen points. Elan came second, with Kele third. In total the wolves earned twenty eight points to their fifteen.

Renesmee had already calculated that based on the groupings, the vamps would have to finish top in each group to have a chance of winning.

Group two were now up, this contained Bella, Carlisle and Rosalie. Also some of the wolves who were likely to be very fast like Leah, Jared, Sam and Seth.

Renesmee was watching from the sidelines with her family. She glanced over to the other side of the pits and saw Jacob stood watching with the majority of the wolves. He looked up at her as she looked over. They stared at each other for a bit then looked back at the action.

The race was tight. By the last lap Bella and Carlisle were first and second, Seth was third and Rosalie was hot on his tail in fourth. They desperately needed every point they could get and so Renesmee and her family cheered Rosalie on from the sidelines. On the last corner Rosalie managed it and the vamps went wild.

They cheered their victors. Renesmee frantically calculated the points up in her head. They now had eighty eight points to the wolves one hundred and thirty three. The vamps were behind, but there were more of them than wolves in the final group, so they would be able to pick up more points.

As a result, the bravado and trash talking really kicked in as they made their way into the pits. Emmett and Jasper were bagging out Paul, Quil and Embry, whilst naturally Renesmee and Jacob exchanged a few comments.

"You better watch yourself if you try and get by me," she said to him, "I might accidentally not see you or my brakes might fail!"

"Yea don't fret sweetie, I'll be coming by you at the first corner," he said.

"Like hell you will, we're gonna kick your ass," she said leaning into him.

"Speaking of which, you know how you're always going on about how much you like my ass, let's hope that's true, as you'll be seeing an awful lot of it during the race."

She was spared trying to think of a comeback, as at that moment they were asked to get in their karts.

They made their way around to the grid. She only had Quil, Embry and Paul in front of her.

She looked over her left shoulder and saw Jacob right at the back, he glanced in her direction. She could see the start lights reflected in everyone's helmets, she kept a close eye on them so she didn't miss the start and blew a kiss in Jacob's direction.

The lights turned green and she put her foot on the accelerator, even though she was still facing the wrong way.

She looked forward, everyone was lunging left to the racing line. Renesmee kept her steering straight and her foot to the floor, then started to turn into the corner. She built up enough pace by doing this that she sailed past Quil around the outside and slotted in front of him. She went through the next chicane then out braked Embry on the inside and got past him into the hairpin.