Fifty One - The note, The mission, The surprise

Catlin was waiting for her by the door.

"Is everything ok?" she asked, "Where's Jacob?"

"Yea everything is fine, Jacob had to go out of town for a few days for work," Renesmee lied.

"Really? That's extremely short notice!" Catlin said.

Renesmee walked into the building, past everyone at the lockers then headed towards the rehearsal hall. Catlin followed her.

"Ness are you ok?" Catlin asked.

"Yea course I am, it's only a couple of days," Renesmee lied again, maintaining her best acting.

Catlin went quiet for a bit then asked.

"Is it ok if I watch you in rehearsal today?"

Renesmee stopped and turned to her, she suspected Catlin was trying to be nice and didn't want her to feel obliged to come.

"I'm sure you've got better things to be getting on with," Renesmee said, spotting Tarek trailing them from behind and pointing him out to Catlin.

"No I've got no plans this evening and I'd like to see how you are getting on in the production, it must really be coming together now," Catlin said with sincerity in her voice.

"Ok, if you're sure."
Inside she was very grateful to have her there.

Catlin turned around to speak to Tarek, Renesmee said she'd carry on, so slowly walked away. Even when Renesmee was outside of normal hearing distance she heard Catlin talk in a very quiet voice, to the point that she struggled to hear her. Jared obviously thought the same and said,

"Speak up a bit would you! What are you saying?"

Renesmee rounded the corner and entered the rehearsal hall. It was a little strange that Catlin would act like that, it was as if she knew how well Renesmee could hear.

She was thankful that they were practising one of the more dramatic sections of the play involving a dance. Meaning Renesmee could distract herself in the the movements and didn't need to pretend to look happy.

"Good work everyone," Mrs Tucker said after rehearsal, "Renesmee can I speak to you for two minutes?"

Everyone else left and it was just them and Catlin.

"Are you trying a new form of immersive acting?"

"Uh, no why do you ask?" Renesmee replied. Mrs Tucker moved closer to her to speak.

"Well I want to check because, your acting was flawless as per usual but, your mood didn't seem to change when out of character, so I'm checking you're ok."

"That's very kind of you, yea I'm perfectly fine thank you, probably just a little tired," she lied.

"Well you know I'm always here if you need anything."

"Thanks" she replied sincerely and made her way into the changing rooms.

As she got ready she found Jacob's note again, she had wanted to be alone when she read it. As the rest of the group had already left already she decided to open it there.

Opening the envelope and unfolding the paper, she caught a whiff of his scent, she inhaled it and she was filled with a feeling of warmth that made her feel at home.

She started to read.

Nessie,

I'm so sorry I'm not there to pick you up, especially after what happened earlier, but I've got wolf stuff to sort out. I'll have to postpone our evening until I get back.

I hope you aren't too upset with me, I loathed making the decision which would mean I'd have to leave you, but I had to help out the other pack.

Your parents should have explained the majority and I know you will have already said that I should have taken you with me. As tempting as that was, you are needed more here.

I have a big ask of you. I don't trust these vamps, even more so after what you told me about them, so there is every chance this might be some sort of trick or bluff which puts the wolves partners in danger. Please can I ask you to get all of them together and stay as a group as much as possible. Alice is going to be watching them all to keep an eye out in case someone plans to threaten them. She will warn the rest of your family, who have said they will protect the tribe and the imprinted partners as much as possible.

This might come as a bit of a shock, but can you make sure you include Ethan in your group please? Leah's been keeping a bit of a secret from you! I hope you are ok with this, I just wish I was there to see your face! Ethan doesn't know anything about the pack yet, but I realise this may be hard to keep from him during this time, only tell him if you must.

Leah imprinted on Ethan? What on earth? When did this happen? They'd hardly ever spoken as far as she knew. It was a good job she'd split up with him! Was this why she was being a little odd at Harriet's party? Had this been when it happened? How on earth could she get him involved without letting on anything? There were far too many unanswered questions.

Please remember that the vamps treated you as my imprinted partner so you will be in the same amount of danger as the others, take care of yourself. You are the most important thing to me.

Ok I need to get going.

I love you loads Nessie.

I'll see you in a couple of days.

Your Jacob

X

She re-read the last few lines again, they gave her a nice warm feeling, reading his words was like a nice warm bear hug. She traced her fingers over the page and over the words he'd written, it made her feel closer to him somehow.

She felt better after reading the letter, it gave her something to focus on, she had a job to do.