Thirty Nine - Barriers down

The next thing she knew, she was laid down on something soft and comfortable.

Her eyes were still too heavy to lift, her mind slowly recovering.

She could tell she was indoors, there was a familiar scent to the room.

She felt a warmth around her waist and on her face, it was the most pleasant sensation in the world and seemed to soothe her whole body and deep into her soul.

She heard voices in the room, they were angry and worried.

"What on earth was she thinking? I can't believe she'd put herself in danger like that," she heard her Mum say. By the lack of response it sounded like this was not the first time she'd uttered these words. Renesmee felt another different warmth from hearing her Mum's voice, the voice she thought she'd never hear again.

"Renesmee? Can you hear me?" she heard her Dad say, the warmth within her grew more. The arm around her waist twitched excitedly and moved up her back as its owner leant in to inspect her.

She heard her Mum in the background.

"Can you hear her Edward? Is she ok?" she said frantically, her voice getting closer to Renesmee.

She almost didn't want to open her eyes after hearing the voices of the family she thought she was leaving behind. Also with the cosiest warmth and intoxicating smell from the body next to her, which she knew was Jacob.

She almost burst out crying remembering the point when she knew she'd never see him again. There was no way that it could really be him embracing her and stroking her face, that her family were there waiting for her.

"It's ok Renesmee, we are all really here. It's over, you're safe," her Dad said and she heard his voice crack at the end. She felt a leap in her heart at her Dad's words, it did all sound very real. Then a sweet voice spoke in her ear for the first time, whilst a hand continued to stroke her face, setting her heart off into uncontrollable thuds.

"Nessie sweetheart," he said, his voice sounding strained, "you're safe." Repeating her Dad's words, still sounding like every word was a laboured effort. "Just open your eyes," he whispered in her ear.

She obeyed his command and slowly opened her eyes, the ceiling lights stinging them slightly.

As she focused she saw Jacob's face directly in front of her, the worry etched on his face eased slightly as she looked him in the eye. She noticed his eyes had a glassy look, he then became blurry as tears of her own welled up at the relief of having him there by her again. He was really there. The tears spilled over and ran down her cheeks, he looked at her seriously.

She reached up to grab his face, to pull it closer to her, wanting to kiss him. As she stretched, a pain burned in her arms, she flinched slightly in her progress. He reached over and grabbed her hand, bringing her palm to his lips and kissing it tenderly, tears finally breaching from his eyes in the process.

"God, I thought I'd lost you," he said emotionally, leaning in and fully embracing her. It felt so good to be held, to feel protected and safe in his arms. She hugged him back, running her hands over every part of him she could, and kissing the side of his head.

He pulled away from her and kissed her forehead, then moved his lips down her nose and kissed it at the tip, whilst looking her in the eyes.

"How are you feeling?" He asked concerned.

"Groggy and achy, but otherwise fine," she said, not wanting to add shaky and still a little traumatised in fear of freaking him out.

He lingered at the end of her nose, the closest he'd been to her since she'd awoken, he looked like he was in some sort of conflict. She was no longer willing to be cautious, she wanted him to know how much she loved him and didn't want to wait any longer. She strained her neck slightly, trying to connect his lips with her own, a pain burned in her neck so excruciating she had to rest her head back down.