Fourteen - Hunting oddities

She knew the way to the hunting grounds Jacob mentioned earlier as they had been there countless times before.

Glancing back to check that Jacob was still with her, she noticed he had fallen back quite a bit and wasn't running as gracefully as normal. He was clipping bushes and leaves as he went past and kept having to change his course far too often to avoid things. It reminded her of watching a person trying to drive a car whilst on their phone. She had seen similar behaviour like this in him before and knew that it was most likely attributed to the fact that as soon as he phased into his wolf form he could instantly hear the thoughts of the rest of his pack who were also in their wolf form.

This meant when he first phased he often had a quick catch up with what was going on with the others, so she carried on expecting him to catch up any second once he was done. However when she looked around again he was even further back. She slowed her pace to allow him to catch up, she was now starting to worry that something was wrong with the pack. He got closer, she kept looking behind at him, he seemed to be staying with her pace but was still a bit all over the place, then without notice he ran straight into a tree.

She didn't know whether to laugh or not, but as he continued to lie at the base of the tree she got concerned and made her way back to him quickly. He seemed a little out of it as she approached him. The tree he had collided with looked like it had come off much worse, with a massive gouge in its trunk. Jacob started whimpering in his wolf form.

"Jake are you ok?" She asked, placing her hand on the top of his head. She wished she had wolf telepathy so she could hear him. He continued to whimper, then it changed to moans, her hand was no longer on his wolf head but his human head. He had phased back to enable him to talk to her.

"Uh" he said slowly "Who put this in the way?" he asked pointing at the tree. She saw that he had a massive bump the size of a cricket ball on his head, it seems to be reducing down in size as she looked at it, no doubt thanks to his wolf fast healing abilities.

"Yea it's a forest Jake, there are quite a few of those around! How on earth did you manage to run into it in the first place?" she asked with a slight humour in her voice.

"I got distracted," he said, blinking as if he had stars in his eyes.

"Are you ok?" she repeated "How many fingers am I holding up?" she asked holding up three in front of his face.

"Three. I'm ok just groggy" he said starting to sit up. She leant over to put an arm around him to help him up.

"Thanks" he said starting to look like he was focusing better now. She could see that the bump on his head was almost all gone now.

"Is the pack ok? I'm assuming you were distracted whilst talking to them," she said compassionately.

"Yea they are fine. This is completely my fault, I need to pay more attention to my surroundings in future" he replied, putting her mind at rest.

"I'm glad they are ok and yes I would really recommend not attempting to do this again!" she said, a small smile creeping onto her face as she said it.

"You starting to feel a little better?" she asked

"Yea tons thanks" he said.

"Good" she said smiling "Then I don't feel too bad about laughing at you now! I mean what an idiot, running into a tree! I can't wait to tell the others!" She said whilst giggling. He looked hurt for a second, playfully shoving her away from him, then burst into laughter himself.

"Yea not one of my finer moments, please don't tell anyone!" he pleaded.

"Who are you kidding? Your pack already knows, which means anyone who wasn't phased at the time will know before long and I'm never gonna be able to bury this one in my head away from my Dad!" She said still chuckling. He looked defeated.