Sixty Two - Army of one

She saw Alice engage in battle with the vampire Rachel had rammed into the wall. 

Renesmee and the other vampire she’d flown through the air with, hit the floor, both landing on their feet. They stared at each other briefly, he was looking at her curiously. She didn’t recognise him, so he’d not been with the other vampires in the forest at Harriet’s party, he’d obviously been told about her from those that had. He was probably confused between his blood lust for her and her very apparent vampire qualities. She took advantage of his hesitation and jumped at him, swinging him by his torso, then chucking him out of the window. 

This gave her a chance to regroup with Alice and they both took on the other vampire together. Renesmee managed to pin him down and Alice hurtled towards to pull the vampire limb from limb. At that moment the vampire Renesmee had been battling with launched through the window at her. 

Alice and Renesmee fought individually against their opponents, the battle was not as intense as it had been with Artimus, but she was completely on her guard all the same. She was fed up dancing around and avoiding the punches, it wasn’t getting her anywhere, but she’d never killed a vampire before, so was a little hesitant.

She’d seen it was easier if there are two of you to do it, so was hoping to get that opportunity again, like her and Alice had a few moments ago. 

To that end, she’d been trying to get rid of her vampire out of the window again or far down the hall, just to keep him away long enough to finish off his mate. It seemed he was wise to her plans after last time and kept avoiding or blocking any moves she made.

Her plan with Artimus had worked quite well before, when she tried to incapacitate him bit by bit. She knew they would heal quickly in under an hour, but it would put them off their game. They wouldn’t be able to fight as hard and she only needed a tiny slip up for her and Alice to go in for the kill, so she decided to try this again. 

She failed in her first few attempts then got very close, she actually had hold of his arm and was about to twist it upwards when he punched her in the face with his free arm and got free of her grasp. In the split second she was recovering he grabbed a hold of her and did what she’d been trying to do all this time. She was hurtled down to the very end of the long corridor, smashing into the wall at the end. 

Dread filled her. 

Alice was now out-numbered. Renesmee picked herself out of the wall as quickly as possible.

She saw the vampires converge on Alice, she screamed Alice’s name in warning, although Alice already wore a face which looked like she’d seen what was coming. This gave Renesmee hope because Alice’s fortae was avoiding attack strategies she’d seen in her premonitions. 

Alice catapulted herself backwards to avoid them, they were too quick however, as she flipped upside down, the vampires each grabbed one of her arms and ripped them clean from the sockets. 

Renesmee screamed Alice’s name again in shock as she continued to run with all of her might.

She noticed a surprised expression on Alice’s face and saw her twist her body in midair, then before she could land she was shoved forcefully out of the window behind her. 

The vampires threw aside Alice’s arms.

Renesmee felt sick. 

She continued towards them, this was the problem with fighting fellow vampires, everyone moved as quickly as each other. They were able to do so much damage in the few seconds she’d been out of the fight. 

She had to get back to protect the door. The vampires had already taken a step towards it. She should get there in time to prevent one of them getting in the door, but she was fighting two vampires, would she be able to stop the both? She was putting herself at a huge risk considering what had just happened to Alice, but she had no choice, she needed to protect the group. She considered calling to Rachel for help, but didn’t want to put her at risk even with her new powers. 

So instead she planned her attack so she’d be able to get both vampires in close succession. She aimed at the vampire almost at the door, jumping in the air and planting both her feet in his chest. She gone in at an angle and was already twisting herself around so she could somersault back around and collect the second vampire. As she kicked off the first one’s chest she began to turn, but he caught her arm very briefly, she was already turning and there was nothing she could do to stop herself. As she twisted she heard and felt her arm snap as result. The first vampire lost his grip on her arm once he was thrust far away following her chest kick. 

She didn’t let her injury put her off, she had managed to carry good momentum with her legs, so she completed the twist and double kicked the second vampire in the head as she moved past him. 

Even after all of the chaos she managed to land on her feet softly in front of the door. 

The second vampire stood in front of her, the first one was still half way down the hall. 

She would have to call to Rachel if she stood any chance now, she was definitely at a disadvantage with a broken arm. 

Rachel must have heard her cries for Alice a moment ago and realised she might be needed, as the door behind her opened. Her suspicions were confirmed after catching the initial scent of Rachel. 

She very quickly knocked that notion on the head as she continued to breathe in the scent. It was the most intoxicating scent she’d ever known. It felt as if warm arms were being wrapped around her. 

The knot in her stomach, she’d be carrying, started ebbing away. 

She realised the reason for her earlier blunder, as families generally shared similar elements, but this wasn’t Rachel’s scent, this was her brothers, this was Jacob’s.