Thirty Five - Harriet's party

Over the next two days Renesmee was very busy and didn't have a chance to see Jacob for longer than an hour each day.

As Jacob had patrol on Thursday she decided to see Ethan instead. She went back to visit him on campus and they had a good evening beating up his Wii console with his mates. They also had a chance to discuss what they would do on Saturday, as they were both attending Harriet's party.

Renesmee had made a decision that she wasn't going to use Ethan to make Jacob jealous. It wasn't something she felt comfortable doing. Not that she told Ethan this, but she was more uneasy about manipulating Jacob, than she was about using Ethan to do it. It had been after speaking to Rachel, she'd seen sense. If she wanted to find out if Jacob liked her, she would have to find this out, not through tricks and games, but by other methods. It wouldn't be fair to him otherwise.

So Ethan and Renesmee decided to keep up the pretence of Boyfriend and Girlfriend for the party and would come clean afterwards. They agreed to be the same around each other as they were now and not pretend to be coupled. This behaviour would also fit in well when they announced their breakup afterwards.

Friday was all filled with talk about Harriet's party. Renesmee had confirmed and warned Harriet that several of Jacob's friends were coming, the warning part was because nearly all of the pack had accepted. So it was 15 of them including Jacob. She asked if they were all invited and Harriet seemed absolutely made up about it.

Several people from school had been invited so there was a buzz about the place. All the girls talking about what they were going to wear, all the boys chatting about the girls they wanted to score with.

"What I wouldn't give to have a piece of that!" One of the guys said quietly to his mates, as she walked past. She looked back and, as she was the only girl in the vicinity, she figured they must be talking about her. Trying not to blush she carried on walking. Even though what they said wasn't very gentlemanly, she could understand what Jacob meant about being flattered that someone was paying attention to you.

There was no rehearsal that evening and Renesmee had driven to school, so was not expecting to see Jacob waiting for her outside, as she left for the day. Even so, she felt a little disappointed when she couldn't see him in the crowd, Harriet sighed next to her, clearly equally as disappointed.

He was at her place when she got there, but he couldn't stay long as he had to patrol again. He told her that they had picked up a few new scents wandering onto their patch. Vampires. Most likely not friends, as Jacob had met practically every Vampire willing to associate themselves with the Cullen's nearly seven years ago, when they had all gathered to fight the Volturi and he did not recognise the scent.

He was not overly concerned as they often got a few strays in the area, but had come to speak to the Cullens incase they could help. They did not know anything to be of assistance, but said they would keep an eye out, Alice promising to keep a close eye on her visions.

So it was with sadness that she let Jacob go to patrol again. He kissed her on the forehead tenderly, he went to pull away, but Renesmee pulled him into a tight squeeze.

"I love you Jacob," she said to him.

"I love you too Renesmee," he replied. "What's brought this on?" He pulled away from her slightly to look at her face. She shrugged her shoulders, not really sure herself.

"Just be careful ok?" She said, with her hands around his waist.

"Of course, thanks for worrying about me, but you know you don't have to. I'll be fine," he said ruffling her hair.

"Just make sure you are. Now go, have fun," she said. Then put on a very fake film type voice and said "Thank you for protecting our town, young Spirit Warrior!"