Sixty Five - Realisation

When she entered the rehearsal hall, she was taken aback at the sight, it was like a bomb had hit it.

She could see purple smoke from the pile of vampire corpses through the broken windows. Walls had holes in them, leaving them as crumbling messes. Wood splinters were strewn over the floor from where exam desks had been smashed up. They in turn mixed with the smashed glass from the windows.

It looked like nothing had remained intact in the room.

She looked over to the spot where Mrs Tucker had been thrown. Someone had covered her body with one of the stage curtains which had been pulled down during the battle.

Renesmee felt her emotions trying to get the better of her and attempted to suppress them for now, she had to remain strong.

She walked over to the body, wanting to pay her respects. She knelt down and placed one hand on her stomach over the top of the curtain.

"I'm so sorry Mrs Tucker, it's all my fault, I was too slow. You should have never been caught up in this. You were such an amazing person, your life shouldn't have been cut short like this. I'll never forget you," she said and despite all of her best efforts to suck up her emotions, tears fell down her cheeks.

She slowly picked herself up from Mrs Tucker's side. Her head was spinning and she felt a little sick, so much was whirling around her head.

As she looked down mournfully at Mrs Tucker's body, the guilt which she knew was entirely her own, twisted itself in her stomach. Renesmee had been so focused on ensuring her group were safe that she momentarily forgot her teacher, if she had been more aware she might have been able to prevent her death.

Everytime she looked at her teacher's lifeless body, she couldn't help but see Quil. That would be him soon too, she couldn't bear the thought. She didn't know how she could ever deal with the loss.

Her stomach tightened harder with guilt at her relief and happiness that Jacob was alive and in one piece. It made her so happy, but how could she be happy when one of her friends was dying. It was selfish and what made her sick was the fact that she was glad it wasn't Jacob in Quil's place. It ate her up, what a horrible person she was.

Her feelings for Jacob hadn't changed, in fact they felt stronger than ever. All she wanted to do was kiss and hug him. Now was not the time, place or situation, so she'd been trying to stop herself since his return. She felt if she waited any longer she might explode.

To add to all of the above, she felt emotionally drained from the last five days since the wolves departure. It had felt like years.

She was pleased the fight was over and those vile vampires were dead. She was so relieved the wolves were finally back for good, although this just reminded her of Quil again. The pack was about to lose a member.

She spotted the bag she wanted on the edge of the stage and slowly made her way over to it, feeling numb, trying with all her might to continue to suppress all the feelings threatening her. 

When she reached the bag, she opened it and pulled out the articles of clothing to inspect them for who they would be suitable for. The mingled wolves scents hit her nose from the bag and before she knew it she was bent over sobbing into the clothes.

It was too much to try and carry on like normal, everything that had been whirling around in her head came crashing out of her in erratic sobs. It was uncontrollable, her whole body shook in response as she broke down.

Out of nowhere, two warm, strong, comfortable hands turned her around. Before she had finished the turn, Jacob's warm soft lips were on hers. He lifted her head towards him, she leaned in and kissed him back.