Eighteen - Family matters

The response was inevitable. As soon as Jacob walked through the door, Edward, who had been sat relaxing on the sofa next to Bella, and Jasper, who stood leaning against a pillar, both snapped their heads round at him and in unison said

"Bloody hell".
Jacob smiled sheepishly back at them as Bella instinctively said,

"What?" looking at the three of them with a worriedly.

Emmett and Esme looked on with puzzled expressions.

Jacob tried to read Edwards reaction, he looked thoughtful as if he were still picking his way through Jacob's thoughts. Then just had a shocked expression on his face.

Bella appeared to be scrutinising Edward with the same expression as Jacob. He wasn't sure whose reaction he was more afraid of as he stood there waiting for his fate. Edward's reaction would come first, but if Bella's scary reaction the first time she'd heard that Jacob had imprinted on her daughter was anything to go by he was definitely more afraid of Bella. Edward sniggered slightly, apparently in agreement with Jacob's last thought.

"Yea your guess is as good as mine, but it will be interesting to watch," he said with a smirk.

"What?!" Bella said again, more impatiently this time "What's he done?" she demanded from Edward.

She then instinctively turned to Jacob "What is it?".

Jacob tried to think of the best way of putting it, scared to infuriate her even further.
He hadn't counted on being put on the spot like this. Edward came to his rescue.

"What we thought might happen if Jacob kissed Nessie, has happened" Edward said calmly.

Jacob took it as a good sign that Edward seemed calm about it and also that him and Bella had clearly been discussing this, so hopefully it wouldn't be too big a shock.

Jacob waited with bated breath for Bella's reaction. Her mouth dropped open as she looked from Edward to Jacob. She looked at Jacob oddly as if she expected to see some sort of physical change in him. What was she expecting to see? A horn protruding from his forehead, with 'I'm in love with Renesmee Cullen on it?' he thought exasperated. He saw Edward smile from the corner of his eye, Edward was looking like he was enjoying himself a little too much whilst waiting for the assumed explosion from Bella.

"You mean.." she started "You mean that you're in love with my daughter?" She asked, her voice a lot less calm than Edward's had been. Jacob attempted a smile whilst he simply answered her question.

"Yes." He didn't want to divulge any more information in fear of what he might say.

"So what does this mean? I know we expected this at some point, but where do we go from here? Because your timing is a bit rubbish with her going on her first date right now." Bella said to Jacob. He felt a little stab in his stomach when Bella mentioned the date Renesmee was on, but tried to ignore it.

"I don't really know what this will mean going forward, but I'm not going to do anything to interfere with her date, nor am I if they decide to start seeing each other, no matter how much I might not like it. I'll try not to act irrationally about it." Jacob said.

"Are you planning on telling her?" Edward asked still in a calm tone.

"No, I can't tell her, for the same reason I've kept it a secret for this long. She knows too much about what imprinting means, she sees it all the time with the pack. I don't want her to feel obliged to go out with me or something, that wouldn't be right.

If anything is ever going to happen between us," his heart pumped a bit harder at the thought. "Then it will need to come from her, she needs to want it too," he said.