Fifty Four - Exes getting on like a kitchen on fire

They pulled up at Emily's and made their way inside. She greeted them warmly. Claire was already there, so she introduced them both to Ethan.

The others quickly arrived, Kim was next followed by Lisa, who was Collin's girlfriend. Last to arrive was Rachel, Renesmee was so pleased to see her, she went straight over and gave her a massive hug. Rachel was only momentarily taken aback by the big hug, before she hugged her back the same.

They all sat around chatting and eating, the atmosphere was jovial. They chatted about what had happened yesterday with the go karting. Most of them had been there, but the story was retold for Ethan and Lisa. They all played with Emily's baby and sorted out plans for the next two days.

Renesmee was surprised at how upbeat everyone was, it was like nothing out of the ordinary was going on. Whereas she was feeling anxious and couldn't stop thinking about Jacob and the pack. She didn't mention anything to the others, she didn't need to share her worries with anyone and certainly didn't want to give them cause for concern. She assumed that they were treating it like any other pack exercise. They might not know as much as she did about the vamps they were up against.

It was a good atmosphere, it was easy to relax and join in with the fun. She was able to forget everything for a while.

The group had managed to not give anything away about the pack, in front of Ethan. Renesmee had quickly told everyone to not divulge anything out of the ordinary. They all still referred to the others as 'The pack', as Renesmee had often called them by this when they were dating. She'd covered it off as a joke, based on how close they all were and the amount of time they spent together.

Renesmee found out that most of the others had received a visit from their respective partner before they had left. Ethan and Renesmee were the only exceptions. She couldn't help but feel a little upset by this, but she had her letter and she was able to look at that whenever she wanted. She suspected the reason Jacob didn't attempt to say goodbye to her in person was due to the fact that Renesmee would have made him take her with him or tried to follow him. Which is exactly what she would have done, given any chance.

They all slept in the lounge in sleeping bags, it took awhile for Renesmee to get to sleep, wondering where Jacob was right then and if he was ok. She had so much whirling around her head, with all of today's events. She hadn't said anything to the others about her kiss with Jacob.

The next day Renesmee was awoken by an annoying beep in her ear, she rolled over and hit her phone on the bedside table to turn it off. Her hand didn't hit the table, it instead crashed down on something soft and fleshy.

"OW! What on Earth?" said a male voice next to her.

Renesmee was confused. She then remembered she wasn't at home. She rolled over to what must be Ethan, to check on him.

"Oh God! I'm so sorry. Are you ok Ethan?" she asked.

The light switched on, clearly everyone had been woken by the commotion. She looked at Ethan, he was holding his hand over his face.

"Blimey Ness, you can certainly pack a punch," he said.

She moved closer and lowered his hand from his face to assess the damage. She gasped, she could already see the starts of a black eye forming.

"Is it that bad?" He asked.

"I didn't mean to do that," she said, "I thought I was at home and unfortunately confused your face for my alarm. I'll get something for it."
She dashed to the kitchen at vamp speed and returned with a bag of frozen peas. She placed them on his eye.

"Jeez, that was quick," he commented. She ignored him.

"You're going to have a black eye by the looks of it," she told him.

"Oh and no-one will get the wrong impression when I say that my ex accidentally hit me in the face when she rolled over this morning!" he said sarcastically, a few of the girls giggled.

"Well don't tell it that way then!" she retorted, "Just say that you got hit by a girl and leave it at that."

"Hmm, I might have to work on my reason, perhaps I could say I got hit whilst trying to stick up for all you ladies," he suggested.

"What's the time?" he asked.

"It's six o'clock"

"Why do you have your alarm set so early? You don't need to be at school for another 3 hours."

She remembered the reason with a jolt in her stomach.

"That was set as part of fulfilling my punishment given by Jacob, to bring him breakfast in bed for the next 2 weeks," she said a little glumly, "Well seeing as I don't have to do that and I viciously woke you up, do you want me to run you to Uni?"

"That's completely out of your way," he said. "Will you be able to make it there and back in time for school? It's an hour and a half round trip."

"Correction, it's a forty minute round trip," she said, "I'd feel better if I got a chance to make it up to you, so please let me do this."

"Ok then, cheers Ness."

They washed and dressed, by which time Emily, who'd been sleeping upstairs, was up with Isi in the Kitchen. They exchanged good mornings and regaled her with the story behind why Ethan was so battered and bruised.

After which Renesmee asked a little hesitantly,

"Is there any chance we could grab some breakfast before we go?"

"Yea help yourselves," she said, indicating to a stack of bread on the side next to the toaster. Renesmee stood there awkwardly. Ethan looked at her, seemingly a little puzzled at her hesitation. Then his expression changed to one of smug amusement and intrigue.

"Can I have a couple of slices please?" He asked in an amused tone, settling himself down at the table and propping his legs on a chair in front of him, with a clear view of Renesmee.

She looked between the bread and the toaster. She'd seen everyone else do it, so why couldn't she?

She placed a slice in the toaster then tentatively pulled the handle down to switch it on. She looked around at Ethan, quite proud of herself.

She gathered butter and other toppings. The butter was rock hard, so she popped it in the microwave for a few seconds. The microwave started to spark from within, she looked inside and the wrapper was on fire. She quickly stopped it and blew the packet out. Butter was oozing everywhere and there was a bad smell in the air.

Ethan was laughing behind her, she gave him a quick scowl as she cleaned up the mess. She was instantly distracted, as he alerted her attention to the toaster, which was pumping out black smoke.

She panicked and dashed over, hitting the side of it, trying to find the button that made it pop up, but failing. So she pulled the plug from the wall and tipped it upside down, the burnt and smoldering remains of the toast falling to the work surface.

Ethan was in fits of laughter and some of the other girls had come to see what was going on.

"Jacob wasn't kidding was he?" Laughed Ethan, as Renesmee tried to calm herself.

Rachel burst through the crowd and towards Renesmee.

"Who let her try and cook?" she said to them, "Are you ok Ness?" Sshe asked kindly and pulled her into a hug.

Ethan walked past, still laughing, patting her on the shoulder in the process.

"Don't worry, I'll take over," he said. Rachel and her broke out of their hug.

"What I don't understand," he said to her. "Is how someone so observant, with amazing reflexes can possibly mess up something as easy as making toast."

"I know! My Grandad has actually run tests on me, I'm basically a clinical freak. My head goes haywire when I try to do anything in the kitchen," she said. He laughed.

"I could have told you that, without running any tests," he commented.