Fifty Five - Mood change

They ate their breakfast courtesy of Ethan, then headed out. She dropped him off in no time at all. As he got out of the car, Renesmee saw him bump into someone he knew. As she pulled away she could hear him saying,

"Yea the guy was huge..." In reference to his black eye.

She arrived at school earlier than normal. She used her spare time to catch up on some revision. She sought out Mrs Tucker and checked whether it would be ok if a few extra people came to watch rehearsal that evening. She had said it would be fine, it would probably be good as it could give them an opportunity to practise in front of an actual audience.

The rest of the day was standard, she was pleased with the amount of work she had as this meant she could take her mind off everything for a bit.

She made her way to rehearsal at the end of the day, expecting the others to meet her there. They had decided that it would be easiest for them to head to the school first and go on to Rachel's house from there.

As she went through rehearsal they arrived in dribs and drabs. Ethan arriving last as he had the furthest to come. His black eye was now huge and purple, she felt a pang of guilt at the sight.

She spotted Harriet poke her head through the door, clearly checking whether Jacob was here or not. Renesmee hadn't told Harriet that Jacob was away. She felt the same hit of disappointment, at his absence, that showed on Harriet's face.

Renesmee wasn't coping with the separation from Jacob well, it had been over 24 hours now and it felt like a month. She kept herself needless busy to try and fill in the time. Everytime she stopped, her thoughts would instantly be on him. It was the not knowing that was driving her beyond despair. She'd always been kept in the loop or been there at his side. Her vivid imagination played cruel tricks on her.

At the end of rehearsal she got changed, helped Mrs Tucker lock up, then headed to Rachel's. The rest of the evening was spent much like the previous, those with studies like Ethan, Renesmee and Claire got on with their work. The others talked about how the pack would be back soon and started organising a campfire for the weekend. Ethan, who had never attended one of their campfires before, asked what all the fuss was about, so they explained some of the things they normally got up to.

Ethan mentioned about the amount of looks his black eye had earned him today and how he was getting headaches. She ran around getting him anything he wanted all evening to make up for it.

Unsurprisingly he and everyone else chose to sleep a lot further away from her that evening.

She didn't sleep at all well again, her dreams were plagued with visions of clashes between the vampires and wolves. She awoke with a start after one horribly vivid dream where one of the vamps sunk its teeth into Jacob as a wolf. She reached a hand out either side of her, searching for him, needing to feel him to make her calm again, but she found nothing to comfort her so slipped back into her nightmares.

Apparently her bad dreams hadn't gone unnoticed by her sleeping buddies, based on the comments the next morning when they asked each other how they had slept.

"Yea ok, well that was until Nessie started with her sleep talking," Kim said.

"I got woken up for an act of that," Ethan added.

Rachel was the only one to show sympathy and gave her a hug.

"It's ok," she said, "they'll be fine." Alerting her to the fact that she must have said enough for them to pick up on what she'd been dreaming about.

"What was I saying?" she asked, pulling out of the hug.

"You said my brother's name a lot and were telling someone to stay away," Rachel said. Renesmee flushed red, she had been trying desperately not show how worried she was and then ruined it all in her sleep.