Seven - Sleep talk

They pulled into her drive a couple of hours later, both stumbling out of the car laughing and giddy from the adrenaline of the journey. They met round the back of the car still giggling and hugged each other.

"That was brilliant!" Renesmee said. "I thought for sure we'd go off that cliff and the way you got past those idiots trying to race you!"

"Yea did you see their faces?" Jacob replied cheerfully, as they started unloading the car.

"Have fun?" said a voice behind them. Renesmee turned to the voice then ran up to give her Mum a hug.

"Yes it was amazing!" Renesmee said. She pulled away and placed her hand on her Mum's face to show her the day she'd had, carefully managing to cut out the bits about her date, but not entirely managing to skip over her feelings when Jacob had pinned himself against her to stop her falling into the crevasse. It was always hard to separate out the emotions when replaying things in her mind to others. She hoped that she had covered over it enough and quickly cut it short, showing the car journey home instead.

"Blimey! All that in one day? I'm glad to see you were keeping Jacob on his toes," Bella said in an obvious reference to her fall into the crevasses. "I think Esme might be interested to see how her car's being used!" She said looking at Renesmee first then behind at Jacob who was walking up to the house.

"Bells it's fine! A car that good should be driven like that or you take away its soul!" He replied to her with a smile.

"You guys been out for dinner yet?" Jacob asked.

"No, we were just about to," Bella said.

"Excellent, I'm starving!" Jacob said enthusiastically.

"We ate on the way back," Renesmee said shocked.

"Yea but it's not the same! Are you telling me you couldn't go hunting now?" He asked her.

"Well yes I could, but I only had one burger, not the four massive ones you did!" She said poking her tongue out at him.

"Now, now children!" Edward's amused voice said from behind Bella as he came outside to join them.

"Hi Dad!" Renesmee said beaming up at him.

"Hey Nessie!" He said. "You had fun then?" He commented, clearly hearing her exchange with Bella a few moments ago.

"Yea it was fantastic! I nearly fell all the way into a crevasse but Jake saved me!" She said excitedly, seemingly rather pleased with her close call.

Not so euthusiasticially and much more sarcastically Edward replied.

"Brilliant!" With a slight look at Jacob.

"She was perfectly safe the whole time," Jacob confirmed.

"She doesn't need to be protected twenty-four seven," Renesmee piped up. "It was my own stupid fault for not taking my ice axes. Jacob told me to but I didn't listen, I got cocky and it bit me in the ass." She said frankly.

"I just can't help but worry about you," Edward said to her. "It's not that I'm trying to smother you."

"Yea I know and it's fine. But seriously Dad, you do this each time I get into trouble when I'm with Jake. You always blame him, but when has he ever failed to protect me from serious harm? The only times I've ever done or nearly done myself a slight injury was because I ignored him. I'm old enough now to make my own mistakes, he's not my minder, he's my best mate and he knows when to let me make certain mistakes.
Please just stop taking my errors out on him," she finished.

She hadn't planned on a rant like that to her Dad, everyone else around her looked just as surprised, Jacob's face however carried a slight smug look about it.

"You are right Renesmee. Sorry Jacob, thanks for looking out for her and Renesmee you can clean Esme's car and the rest of the fleet as punishment for ignoring his advice today.
But for now let's go hunting," he said, slightly smiling towards the end as he and Bella led the hunt.

"Hey Ness, thanks for sticking up for me," Jacob said to Renesmee ruffling her hair. Then in a quieter voice he said "I'll help you with those cars." He winked and dashed into the trees. The next thing she saw was his wolf form shooting off into the forest, this was the sign she'd been waiting for and she took off after him.

They arrived back at the house a couple of hours later, all four of them bickering over who had the toughest, biggest and tastiest kill.

They settled themselves on the sofas and talked more about their day. Rosalie and Emmett joined in the conversation before Carlisle, Esme, Jasper and Alice all returned from a long distance hunting trip and the chatter flowed.

Renesmee sat next to Jacob, his arm casually around her as he always did. She felt cosy, safe and happy just listening to the chatter of her family around her. Jacob had also stopped contributing to the conversation and she wondered if he was just as lethargic and sleepy as she was, it had been a busy day after all.

She sat in her cosy and happy spot completely relaxed as all thoughts emptied her head.

Next thing she knew she opened her eyes, she was still in the lounge but it was now dark. Completely empty and quiet. Quiet except for Jacob's amazingly loud snores coming from next to her on the sofa.

She'd obviously fallen asleep in his arms and by the looks of it he'd passed out asleep around the same time. Her family had clearly left them to sleep. Both Jacob and Renesmee were very good at sleeping sound in even the most uncomfortable places, so they would not have thought to wake them so they could go off to bed.

Now she was awake she had no intention of getting up to sleep in her own bed and instead cosied herself into Jacob, his arms still cuddled around her and his chin touching the top of her head. He stirred as she moved around, his snoring halted and she wondered if she'd woken him, she jumped slightly when he spoke her name.

"Nessie, Nessie! There you are? How did you get so far in there?" He said.

It took her a while to realise he was sleep talking.

"I'm not anywhere," she said playing along.

"Yes you are, you're not supposed to be in there, I can't let you," he said sounding quite stern.

"Ok I won't go there."

"Good good. Everything is perfect right now, don't climb in there yet, it will get complicated. You need to be ready"

"OK," she said and brushed the back of her hand on his cheek. Still asleep, he grabbed it softly and pulled her palm to his lips kissing it gently.

"My wonderful Ness, stay with me forever," he said. She picked up his palm, using the hand he'd just kissed, and brought it to her lips kissing his in return.

"Of course, you are my Jake forever," she said, meaning every word, but not sure why she was playing along so much.

"Good," he said happily.

His snores instantly re-commenced.
She giggled and rested her head on him again, falling asleep almost instantly.