Fifty Seven - Respite

"You and Jacob kissed?" Rachel asked.

"You didn't tell us," Kim added.

"When did this happen?" Emily asked.

Alice looked mortified. "Oh god Ness. I'm so sorry! I thought everyone knew!"

"Well they do now!" Renesmee replied, looking shiftily around the group. She was very aware that Ethan was amongst them and even though he'd been cool about their break up, he probably didn't want to hear this.

"Uh, I've got a feeling that this conversation is going to get a little girly, so how do you guys fancy a game of snooker?" Edward said.

"Totally," said Emmett, "although before we go I'd like to know whether I get a pay out. So tell me Ness, were you on top or was he?" He chuckled.

Renesmee's mouth hung open in shock, then recovering she lobbed a cup from the table in front of her at him. He caught it, shattering it in pieces in the process. Still giggling he muttered,

"I'll take it that it was you then!"

"No-one was on top of anyone, I'll have you know!" she snapped back, fully embarrassed.

"You know what Nessie? You're as easy to wind up as your Mother," he said with a glance at Bella, before he started to make his way over to join the boys at the snooker table.

Ethan remained seated, looking a little unsure what to do.

"You coming buddy?" Emmett asked. Ethan grunted acknowledging in response and wandered over to join them.

Renesmee didn't like the expression that her Dad was giving Ethan. She recognised the frown lines on his forehead, as the ones that usually appeared when he was concerned with someone's thoughts. This was probably to be expected after Emmett's last comment about her Mum. She prepared herself for some awkward questions from Ethan later.

When she looked back at the sofas and all eyes were on her, she realised she had more immediate awkwardness to deal with.

"So spill," Alice said.

"Uh...." Ren stammered, not quite sure what to say.

"So is what Alice said true Ness? Did you and Jacob kiss?" Rachel asked kindly.

Renesmee, trying to control the smile wanting to burst from her at the memory, nodded her head then quietly said,

"Yea," at which point she lost her battle with the smile, as it appeared on her face. Her confession was met with a variety of gasps, awws and giggles. Her family who already knew this, smiled at her.

She expected that they all found out through Jacob when he'd come to see them before he left, she would have liked to have seen how they all took it. They seemed fine now so imagined there wasn't any real issue.

"Oh Ness, I'm so happy for you," Rachel said genuinely, which Renesmme acknowledged with a smile, still a little embarrassed by the interest.

"So when did this happen?" Emily asked.

"On Wednesday morning," she replied.

"Oh, so you haven't seen him since, " Rachel said sadly, "Oh Ness, why didn't you say anything? That must have been really hard finding out he had gone after that happened."

Renesmee smiled back at her calmly.

"It was a shock, especially as he said he had something special lined up for me that evening. But I'm fine, I'd be much better if I knew he was ok."

"I'm sure they are fine," Alice said, clearly trying to move the conversation on. "So how did it happen?"

"Uh, do I really have to do this?" Renesmee asked.