Twenty Six - Speedy week, fast lies

Jacob was making his way home after dropping off Renesmee. He was processing everything that had happened over the last few days.

His imprinting had fully completed its course on Friday and he was now more in love with Renesmee than ever. Jacob had thought Friday had been a pretty massive day but ever since then everything had started getting a little more complex and confusing.

He was now having to be very careful with his feelings around her in case he gave himself away too easily. His biggest concern and issue was with what happened today. He lost control of himself and uncontrollably phased into his wolf form. He would need to control his emotions better if he was not going to give himself away.

She had apparently bought his story that he didn't know what caused him to phase like that, whereas he knew exactly why he had and couldn't let her know.

She had been saying goodbye to Ethan, as soon as Ethan had leant in to kiss her, Jacob had lost it. That should be him, not Ethan, she was his, how dare he kiss her. He'd never lost it like that since his first few years as a wolf.

He managed to luckily get away from Renesmee's friends before he phased, but there was a serious worry it could happen again at any time. She was smart and if he kept reacting like that anytime Ethan were near her, she would soon figure it out.

He'd nearly slipped up and told her about him imprinting on her, when they were in the forest. He assumed she'd figured it out and was devastated because she didn't feel the same way, so knew it would destroy their relationship. He'd been so lucky to not fully dig himself into a hole, as it turned out she thought he'd imprinted on her friend Harriet.

From that point onwards everything started looking up for him. He could see how devastated she was at the thought of losing him. It had broken his heart to see her so upset, but he was slightly buoyed by the fact he'd never have to put her through that pain for real and it was clear to see how much she wanted to be in his life.

As he continued to drive home he couldn't help but think there was a glimmer of hope for him. He cast his mind back to the forest and Renesmee's response to him kissing away her tears. The thought that he'd made her make that noise made him feel warm all over, he couldn't hold back a smile.

Then again around the campfire, she'd not taken her eyes off him and had tenderly traced her fingers over his facial features. He had to stop her as he could feel himself losing his self restraint and goodness knows what he might have done, but would have most likely outed himself in the process.

Also what was with the farewell a few moments ago? Did she have any idea what she was doing? Or had it been entirely innocent? She'd been so close, kissing him softly on the cheek. Why did she linger? He had been drowning so much in her perfect scent that he'd lost the ability for thought and movement. Almost to push him over the edge she'd whispered goodnight so sweetly in his ear before leaving that his heart started random palpitations.

He was going to try not to read too much into it incase it gave him false hope, but he couldn't help the pleased feeling washing over him.

All he knew now, as he pulled into his drive, was that he'd better stop obsessing about these things for when he next phased, otherwise he would definitely be in for a ribbing by the whole pack.

Considering how long the last weekend had felt, Renesmee was surprised at how quickly the next week went.

Harriet, as predicted, wouldn't shut up about Jacob all day Monday, which begun getting annoying and so she tried to avoid sitting next to her in class for fear of what she might say or do.