Twenty Seven - Best Behaviour

The next day, as Renesmee headed to Jacob's house with her Mum and Dad, she started to feel a little nervous. Before she left, she tried to bury as many of her thoughts down into her memory as she could, but she knew it was going to be a tough evening with her Dad around the whole time. She wouldn't be able to fully relax in fear of what her thoughts might betray. So as she made her way to the Black household she did so with a clear head, filling it with thoughts of the present or mundane trivia.

The journey turned into a little bit of a race. Renesmee and Bella, who were not as fast as Edward, had to find new ways to try and either stop him or catch up, often doing massive jumps to catch up. Even so he still beat them easily.

"Fancy not even letting your daughter beat you," Bella said as they walked out of the forest and towards the Black's house.

"She's beaten me before fair and square. You wouldn't want me to let you win would you Nessie?" Edward said.

"Not a chance, I'll beat you again soon, you better watch out Daddyo!" Renesmee said playfully back at him. He threw an arm around her to give her a quick hug.

They were now at the front door, Renesmee had been ready to open the door and walk straight through it as she often did.

"Wait," Edward said. "It's polite to knock as we're guests." He tapped on the door.

Billy answered it and greeted them in turn, Edward first who he shook hands with, Bella was next who he kissed on the cheek and Renesmee last who he hugged warmly as she did in return, like normal.

"Charlie and Sue are already here," he announced as they made their way inside. Everyone hugged and kissed. Charlie had a special cuddle for her, his face lit up as he saw her.

"Look how you've grown in the last few weeks!" He said.

Everyone sat down and caught up with what had been going on.

Renesmee was keenly aware of Jacob's absence but tried to act cool and not mention it. She sat and caught up with Billy, Charlie and Sue, feeling suitably embarrassed when her parents brought up the subject of her boyfriend. Seeing as they'd been there for half an hour now and keen to change the topic, she asked Billy where Jacob was. He chuckled.

"I'm surprised you lasted this long without asking," he said amused.

"He's out with his mates at the moment, he'll join us in a bit. He promised he wouldn't be late," he said to her with a kindly smile.

Renesmee liked Billy very much, they had a good relationship. She had been intrigued by Billy's past and the tribes histories. When she was growing up, Billy would sit down and tell her all sorts of stories for hours on end. Renesmee found it fascinating, Billy had a big presence around him which she had great respect for. He'd always been friendly to her and treated her as one of the family.

Charlie asked Renesmee questions about school and how she was getting on.

"Surely your big exams are coming up, aren't they?"

"Yea, I need to properly start revising for them next week," she replied.

"Blimey, you'll be graduating already. It's mad, where has the time gone?" Charlie said. It went ever so quiet for a second, everyone was very good to not talk about any supernatural occurrences with Charlie, in order to not freak him out. So naturally whenever he brought up Renesmee's speed of growth everyone tried to avoid the subject.

They were rescued by the sound of the back door opening, Renesmee knew he was there before he'd turned the handle. She made to leap from her seat towards him, but quickly stopped herself. She saw most occupants of the room throw her a slight look. She quickly focused her thoughts into the mundane as Jacob made his way into the room. He looked straight at her first and smiled,