Lights, Camera, Attraction (7)

'When did she last text Bro' Morgz asks concerned. I got here an hour ago. I needed to get out of my place.

'4 fucking days ago. I hear from her daily but nothing. My messages aren't even getting through man. This is doing my head in' I state pacing around his living room. Surely she has got somewhere with signal. Right now I hate India, I hate the communication barrier it's causing between me and my girl. I know its ridiculous but since her silent treatment I have been scanning the internet for missing travellers and local news. Nothing has come up but I still had to check for my own sanity. I hate not knowing where she is. I just want to know she is safe. This is fucking killing me.

'When is she due back?' he asks, trying to calm me down by handing me a beer.

'3 days time' I say with a clipped tone. My days were passing quickly with the tiny contact she made plus keeping myself busy but now I can't focus or concentrate on anything other than her. Why isn't she replying, why arent my messages getting through.

'What about the friend, maybe she heard from her?' he asks and as his words come out I mentally slap myself for not thinking of this sooner. I call Alex who gives me Demi's number. I tap it in and wait for her to pick up.

'Hello, Demi speaking' I sigh at the cheery tone on the line.

'Demi hey it's Hero. Sorry to call randomly but have you heard from Jo? Like the past 4 days?' I ask hoping for some positive news.

'Urm, no why? Is everything OK?' she sounds worried now, great I am creating unnecessary drama because I am losing my mind, way to go at hitting top spot on clingy boyfriend Hero. Jo will think I'm insane calling around her friends like this.

'I assume so but I haven't heard from her so I hoped maybe you had. It's probably just her signal out there. It's been shit since she arrived. If you hear from her will you let me know please? I ask politely and slightly embarrassed at my over protective instincts.

'Sure thing. Hero I wouldn't worry, she goes off places all the time. Jo knows what she' s doing' Demi says as she hangs up. Her words some what relief my growing concern but not completely. I don't know why but something isn't adding up, I just know it. Morgz spends the afternoon and most of the night trying to get me to join in with the group but I sit back, mulling over the possibilities of where the hell me girl is. Jo where the fuck are you!

After a few others join us, Felix grabs the seat beside me. Knowing me better than anyone he instantly senses my tense frame.

'Dude, are you genuinely concerned about your girl?' he asks gently trying not to push me I think.

'Right now, yeah I am. I can't shift the uneasy feeling in my gut. I mean she was loving India from our last chat but to go silent doesn't make sense surely there is signal somewhere bro' I reply, trying not let the feeling of dread consume me. What the hell is this, I know in my heart something is wrong as much as I want to deny it and stay here hopeful.

'Where'd she go again?' he asks grabbing his phone from his pocket. After I tell him the area he messes around tapping the screen for what feels like eternity. I watch his face scanning over the screen and tapping, then scrolling. When he turns to me, his face looks worried. I can't read what is going on in his head but I don't like it one fucking bit.

'H have you seen this?' he asks passing me the phone.

FEMALE FOUND DEAD IN CAR PARKED 3 MILES FROM POPULAR TOURIST AND BACKPACKING LOCATION IN INDIAN HOTSPOT OF THE WESTERN GHATS

I read the article whilst trying to breathe but the air is crushing my insides as I scan the words in the screen which describes a female early 20's who was found alone in the parked vehicle. Cause of death was strangulation amongst other injuries, the information is limited with no further descriptions only stating the car was found after passersby stopped to enquire why the abandoned vehicle was sat by the roadside. I scan the date of the article and see it was published 3 days ago. My heart sinks in my chest and the tears flow from my eyes as I try to gather as much information as I can from the printed story. Fuck! This isn't Jo, it can't be. It's not my girl.

'Hero, Man it could be anyone. How many people go backpacking. I'm sure Jo is fine and will be back any day' he says taking the phone from my side. My head is in my hands, I can't breathe with the restriction of my heart pounding in my chest. My head is saying one thing but my heart another. This can't be Jo, right? I need to calm the fuck down and be logical. Yes she hasn't contacted me but she has travelled alone for years. Yes, my gut is telling me something is wrong but it isn't a fact.

'What the fuck do I do now, just sit and wait Felix. Get your head on straight if this was you what would you do because right now I feel like jumping in a plane to find her' I spit in between sobs. I don't give a fuck that I'm a mess. My heart has just exploded in my chest at the images my mind has put together of my girl laying in a car somewhere alone.

'Give me a minute man, I need to think' he says pacing the room and smacking his forehead. 'What would I do? What would I do?' he grabs my hands from my face pulling me up to my feet like he has this Al figured out. I stare at him with watery eyes hoping to fuck he thought of something.

'I got it, we call the embassy. They will know more. And her family. Do you have their number?' the embassy idea is a good one, I'm kinda relieved that he had it but her family isn't. I only met her 5 weeks ago, her family live in Australia and I've never spoke or met them so that's a dead end. As hope flows through me we look for numbers and start calling like crazy men.

After an hour of failed attempts and being out through to numerous people that hope subsides and I feel myself losing my fucking temper. I am way out my depth here, I have no fucking clue on what to do next. I need to get my head out my arse and I find my girl. My girl that is still alive and well. I won't let my mind trick me into thinking otherwise.

We sit way into the night and early morning looking at possible ways to gather information on about who was found in that farm the guys sit with me and scan everything online, calling anyone we think can help.

'Why don't we call the police here, they have leads. Jo could be a missing person for all they know' Morgz says and we all nod in unison at the idea. I make the call and tell them everything I know. They ask me to email a photograph which I do instantly. After opening up the enquiry they tell me about what happens next but assure me they will look into it urgently and contact me.

'Hero man, I know you are going to throw a fit here but you need to sleep. You look exhausted man. Go get your head down whilst we carry on looking into this. I promise H we won't slack but get some sleep please' Morgz asks and the boys agree. How the fuck can I sleep without any confirmation of her being OK yet. They literally drag me up stairs and throw me in the room. I shout profanities through the door but deep down I know they just want to help me. They have a point, being a zombie won't help me out with this.

I lay on the bed for what seems like hours praying for her to text, anything, even a missed call so I know in my heart my girl is coming home.