Lights, Camera, Attraction (9)

When I wake the first thing I see is Hero sleeping beside me, comfort washes over me at the sight of the man I love who has his arms wrapped around me protectively. I needed this, I couldn't think of anything other than him when I landed. I knew coming here was what and where I needed to be, after everything that happened, I knew I would be safe here with him.

Last night is the first time I have slept properly since that awful night. I knew when I flew home I looked like death but all I wanted was to get home, I didn't care how I looked. The way Hero looked after me last night was beautiful, he was so soft and gentle with me. Never pushing for information even though I know he wants to understand what has happened desperately. The way he blanketed me with safety will never be forgotten, I don't know how to thank him for being so wonderful and caring. Those days in India dragged so slowly and the guilt I feel is consuming me. I feel so much guilt. I don't know how I will get passed this.

'Morning baby, how do you feel today?' his words pull me from my thoughts as I turn and stare into those beautiful green eyes I have come to love with all my heart and soul.

'Morning. Alot better than I have. Thank you for looking after me Hero. You don't know how much it means to me to be here with you' I reply softly, hoping he can feel how sincere my words are. He plants a kiss on my forehead before leaning up to get out of bed. Panic runs through me, I don't want him to go anywhere. Not yet.

'Wait, where are you going?' the words are rushed and I hold his torso tightly hoping to prevent his departure.

'Baby, it's OK. I was just going to make some coffee and you need to eat. You fell asleep last night, I didn't want to wake you but you have to eat, fuck you like like you haven't had a meal in weeks. Let me take care of you, please?' his words and face laced with concern but I immediately relax knowing he is coming back and nod. I don't feel much like eating but I would enjoy a coffee. I need to explain to him today, I can't avoid this and leave him clueless.

I lay back thinking how to start this conversation, I have already explained everything to the authorities in India and the embassy, the idea of recalling the events of that night a third times makes my stomach churn. When he returns he passes me a cup of steaming hot coffee along with some toast and jam. Nodding in encouragment for me to eat I take a bite but its hard to swallow, my body doesn't want food right now. I sip the coffee instead.

'Baby, you know I won't let let anything happen to you ever again. You have to know I would do a murder charge rather than have you hurt' he says, his words are honest and his face slightly angry at the idea of someone hurting me. My heart aches for him, what have I out him through the past week. I feel awful for causing him any upset or worry.

'Hero, I need to tell you what happened but promise me you won't judge me, you won't think differently of me' I plead as I take a breath to gather some courage.

'I would never judge you and I sure as hell could never feel anything other than love for you baby' his words give me the strength I need to explain.

'It's my fault, what happened. I brought this on myself Hero. The trip was going amazing, the first weeks flew by, I got up early, went out and came back late using the hostel only for sleeping. It was busy but everyone was on their own adventure so I didn't make any friends as such, I just did what I do usually and kept to myself. When a new couple arrived, Devon and Suzie I though they looked oddly paired, they stayed in my cabin. She was so clean and well kept where as he was scruffy and dirty looking' I notice Hero's posture change at my words, his body tenses and his brows furrow.

'We chatted, after that I felt bad for judging them so early as both seemed to be nice and we had a lot in common. They invited me for dinner the following night and I agreed, I didn't think twice about it Hero. After being out all day I went back to the hostel, they said they had a car so we would go out in it to explore the surrounding areas again I thought nothing into it and got in willingly. Not long into the drive the atmosphere felt odd, I had this feeling something was off and when Devon spoke to me like shit I knew I had made a mistake' I am sobbing as I recall what happened next, trying to calmy Hero pulls me into his arms rubbing my arm lovingly.

'They took me to a shack in the woods, Suzie was so quite and withdrawn it was freaking me out how she was a different person to the one I had met. Devon was vile, he pulled me from the car and pushed me into the disgusting cabin thing. I knew, I just knew something bad was happening. Hero I have never felt that vunerable in my life, I wanted to scream but I couldn't. When Devon pushed me down to that filthy mattress I felt sick, he tried to kiss me and all I could think was to bite him, I bit as hard as I could but made everything worse. He smashed my head on the floor so many time, I prayed it would kill me. I blacked out soon after' I am sobbing, I can't stop the tears from leaving my eyes. When I look to Hero he to has water streaming from his eyes. I want to make this go away for him but he has to know.

'Jo, if you can't tell me I understand. I don't want you to go back rot hat night if it is too much baby' he says softly whilst cupping my cheek in his hand.

'When I came round all I remember seeing was Devon laying on the floor with blood pouring from his head. I felt relieved. I wanted him to be dead Hero. I really wanted him dead in that moment, I saw Suzie cowered in the corner. Her face was a mess but I couldn't move. My head was so heavy, I could feel the wetness of blood at the back of my hair. I called for Suzie and she suddenly sprung up to her feet telling me we had to move him. I didn't know what to think but she was adament. She promised me he didn't touch me, and I believe her. I didn't feel any different, he didn't lay a hand on my body thank god. Suzie saved me Hero and in return I killed her'. I cover my mouth as I recall the way her eyes looked when she threw me out of the car, she drove me to the village and let me go. She told me to run and she would take care of everything. Her apology being the last words I heard.

'What?! Jo you didn't kill anyone. What are you talking about?' Hero sounds shocked but worried. I did just admit to killing someone so I should expect this I guess.

'After we put Devon in the back of the car she drive us to the village nearby. She made me get out, she gave me my passport but nothing else in my satchel. She said he did this for money and had found her weeks ago, he told her if she didn't go with him he would kill her. He needed her as the bait to help lure in travellers but he didn't just steal material items, he raped them aswell. Suzie said she couldn't be part of 5his any longer and needed to get away, dumping him along the way as she escaped. I ran Hero, I ran so fast from that car and didn't even look back. An elderly lady in the village took me into her home and arranged for me to be taken to the Embassy, she didn't ask me any questions she was so kind to me. When we drove out of the village the next day I saw the car, his car. I asked them to stop and when we approached I saw Suzie, I ran over to speak with her, tell her to come with me but she was......she was dead' I am shaking as I picture the beautiful girls pale face. Her eyes were closed but you could see the pain of what happened itched in her features.

'Devon was gone, nothing in the car but Suzie. I killed her Hero, I left her with that monster in the back seat and he took her life. She saved me, she helped me get home and I did nothing for her apart from let her die' I can't bare this, I can't take the guilt of that poor woman sitting dead in the middle of nowhere, alone.

'Baby, it isn't your fault. Please listen to me, you couldn't have known what was going to happen. Suzie shouldn't have died, I agree with that but honestly I am glad it was her and not you. I'm sorry to sound so cold but I am. I couldn't bare to lose you Jo. You got away, yes she helped you but she wasn't innocent in all of this. You need 5o forget ant guilt you have because baby you are not the reason she died' he tries his best to soothe me but his words don't, in this moment I am to blame and I didn't help like I should have. I should have dragged her out of that car with me and now, well now she could be at home like I am.

'I can't talk about this anymore Hero. I' m sorry' I say as I nuzzle my face into his chest. Reliving that has taken every ounce of strength I had, tiredness washes over me and I feel exhausted.

'Baby, close your eyes and rest. I promise I won't go anywhere' He says to me whilst pulling me into his lap.

Authors Note:

I hope this fills in the blanks for you all. Jo made it home to her Hero. Thank you all for reading and voting, I am truly grateful to each and every one of you for taking the time to join me in my short story journeys ❤️