Caught My Heart From The Start

My nerves are shook, I have sweaty palms and my mind is going round in circles the only thing pulling me from my inner turmoil is the endless questions from down the hall.

'I don't get it. Out of the blue you're meeting for coffee? After all this time?' Amy interrogates as I stand staring at my reflection in the full length mirror propped against my bedroom wall, I'm full of anxiety about meeting him again after all these years and her tone isn't easing my apprehension.

'Yes, after all this time. Please remember we never actually lost touch, after everything we kept in contact maybe not consistently but we have always been friends. He has always been in my life, a constant, never far but never enough' I respond in a sharp hiss, slightly agitated at her tone.

'The one who got away but didnt' she laughs, her words seem ironically true when put so simply.

He is the one who got away, the one who I wanted but never had because time wasn't on our side, the guy I could always rely on and talk to for hours about anything and everything this world has to offer. The deeper I think of it the more I realise that maybe just maybe this time things could be different. Maybe now we are ready for each other? I know we've grown and matured over the years, could we make something finally happen or is that a ridiculous concept? Whatever the case, this coffee meet will confirm all my impending questions about him and my buried feelings .

I'm so confused about all of it, my feelings are conflicted by what's ifs and maybes, my stomach is cartwheeling with nerves right now probably because when I see his picture and name pop up on my screen those green eyes make me giddy every single time. I need to calm down and just go see how we do in person. I mean it's been 11 years since I last saw him physically. I make my way down the hall, my attempt to look casual but sexy may have gone out the window with the 2nd coat of mascara but what the hell, I want to make him look at me and finally see me rather than being that reliable friend. I don't want to be his friend anymore, I know deep down I want more. It became apparent when he told me about the girl he liked, the way she treated him made my blood boil but when they ended I couldn't help but enjoy the fact she was no longer on the scene. From that moment I knew he meant more to me than I had realised or even wanted to admit to.

'Well if he doesn't buy the coffee you know he's a tosser because you look..... Hot!' Amy smirks as I enter the living room still faffing with my hair. I grin and glance at the clock. I need to leave so I can get there early, not to early but giving me enough time to calm myself before I actually see him again, oh god I' M really going to see him.

'Wish me luck' I say as I grab my belongings and head for the door. Amy is my best friend and go to person for any life drama or dilemma. My place is basically hers so leaving her there isn't odd. She makes herself at home, plus I need her there for when I return if this all goes horribly. I stacked the fridge with ice cream and the cupboards are stuffed with sugary treats to help aid my broken heart should he not feel anything towards me.

As I slide into the drivers seat I feel a slight sweat across my palms, shit. I need to get a grip. It's just coffee, with a friend after 11 years. I turn the key and drive with the music blasting to silence my thoughts. When I reach JJ's coffee parlour I park up, check my reflection once more and make my way inside but before I reach the door I hear him, his voice is clear in my eardrums.

'Jo, wait up. Can't have you arriving before me can we?' he smirks and I feel my internal organs melt at the sight of the green eyed god, his appearance is sharp but simple in grey joggers and matching hoodie and some slick black trainers. My heart hammers in my chest as I slow my pace, turning to meet him as his long strides direct him my way. Fuck, this man is still as beautiful now as the first day I met him.