Deployed With Purpose (6)

2 Years Later.......

'Baby, I promise I will be home for Apollo's 1st birthday party. Please try not to worry. I didn't expect to be called out on tour again. You know I've no choice in the matter' I say softly as I lay in bed with my girl and our beautiful baby boy who is sleeping soundly between us. I can't help but feel guilty that I'm leaving shortly to go back on tour. I hoped and prayed that I would fail the medical, I didn't want this life anymore but it wasn't meant to be the Army accepted me back after many physical and mental tests. I had been back at work for some months now, Luckily I had been on base so coming home each night was our standard routine up until today. Now I was getting ready to join the fight in a foreign country, having to leave my loves back in London for a war that was already in full swing. My presence wouldn't make any difference and knowing that made going so much harder. The atmosphere was heavy between us this morning, I knew Jo was worried sick about this and if I'm completely honest the idea of being away didn't fill me with joy either. I no longer have fire in my belly to save the world, I want to be here and look after my own family, see my girl and my little boy when I get home each evening and live my life in this country rather than travel to make peace in another destination that holds no place in my heart.

'We'll be OK as long as you keep your promise and come home Hero. Promise me, you will do whatever needs to be done to stay safe and return back to us' she pleads, a small tear escapes her blue orbs and I rush my thumb across her cheek to comfort her. I want to make that promise, I want to reassure her more than anything but deep down we both know my words would be fickle, I can't possibly predict what will happen out there. When I got the order to deploy last week I hid it from her, not knowing how to break the news. I didn't want to burst the bubble we were living in, our happy home and lives together had been more than I could have imagined and when Apollo joined us we were complete like nothing I ever felt before.

Our little boy had filled our hearts along with a void neither of us knew we had. I adored being a father, and Jo was the most amazing mother. The way she smashed giving birth and automatically became his protector made me fall for her so much more than I ever thought possible. When I saw him for the first time I cried, I wept like a fucking baby as I took him in my arms and noted each tiny feature he held. His dark mop of hair, his crystal blue eyes and those tiny fingers which he wrapped us both around immediately not to mention how content he was. Apollo was a dream, he hardly cried or made a murmur, just taking in everything around him and flashing those gummy smiles now and then plus he slept through the night from an early age making our new role as parents so much easier than we imagined. Infact, I had been trying to convince Jo to try for another baby not long after Apollo was born. I wanted a big family with her. I wanted our home to be full of our children but more than that I wanted this wonderful woman to be surrounded by all the love that came hand in hand with parenthood. Jo made it clear it would happen but we had to wait until Apollo could atleast walk, it didn't stop us from our practice runs though, nothing had altered our devotion and love for one another. I heard stories that life gets flipped on its ass when a baby arrives but all it did for us was strengthen our bond and want for one another. I had to fight my urge to keep my hands to myself around the woman who drove every fibre of my being crazy with just her mere presence. My girl was hot but more than that she held my heart in her hand and could do with it as she pleased. The thing about Jo I loved most was although she had an incredible power over me she only ever used it to love me, never to make me feel insecure, she took my heart and treasured it, helped me grow as a person and encouraged me to be the best version of myself I could be. She wanted nothing in return either, no hidden agenda's or crazy idea's. We were one and together which made my life worth living.

As I snuggle in closer to Apollo I feel Jo's dainty fingers brush through my hair and even though it's not exactly the ideal time I feel my groin twitch at the contact. I give her a wink and nod towards our ensuite hoping she will join me for a shower before our little one wakes. The smile she flashes me confirms her thoughts were the same as my own and as she lifts Apollo and places him in his crib we practically run to the shower room hand in hand, giggling as we enter the spacious area.