twenty-three

The girls and I flew back to LA after our long week of writing, brainstorming, planning, and recording. It was cool to see the girls process in the studio. I never thought I'd get the chance to do that so it's nice to have this experience.

When we got our luggage from baggage claim, all of us turned the corner to be mobbed by at least 10 guys with flashing cameras. Paparazzi.

My eyes started to strain from the bright lights that were flashing back and forth from all angles. I got a little caught off guard and almost tripped but Camila grabbed my hand to steady me.

The men yelled out multiple things to all of us, "Is it true that you're making a song together?", "Who's going solo like Zayn?", "How's your ex doing, Camila?". None of the girls paid any attention to the constant badgering of the low lifes but I couldn't help myself from listening to their every word while we made our way to the shuttle where Rob was standing to wait for us.

When I helped Rob with the bags while the other girls got in, the men kept continuing their job of being an annoyance.

One man yelled out, "How does it feel to have more number one single's than Austin?"

I turned around, "What the hell are you talking about?"

Another guy joined in, "What did you do when you found out Austin fucked your girlfriend?"

I almost leaped at the guy but Rob pulled me back and whispered down to me, "It's not worth it. Just get into the car."

I did as I was told and got in with a huffed attitude. My 'pissed at the world' expression was obvious.

"What's wrong babe?" Camila asked, grabbing my hand and sitting it in her lap.

"Nothing." I replied shortly.

"Did they get to you?" Her attention was locked on me but I tried to keep as little eye contact from her by looking out the window while Rob got in the car. I didn't reply which was a sure fire sign that she was right. "I'm sorry."

The shuttle dropped us off between our houses since we lived right next to each other. The girls left to go rest their jet lag and Camila wanted to sleep, too.

I just wanted to go into my chill room and find some peace within my brain. Being without Percocets for two weeks is already killing me.

I hurried into the bedroom before Camila could make it up there and sat our suitcases to the side of our bedroom before hurrying into the bathroom to retrieve my pill bottles and stuff them down my pants so I wouldn't have to talk to my wife about them just yet.

I opened the door to see Camila about to knock. Her smile expanded as she spoke to me, "I was gonna ask what all that noise was in there."

I shrugged, "Nothing. I just had to put some stuff away."

"Oh." She leaned in to kiss my lips while her hands trailed down close to where a bottle was. Luckily she didn't feel it. "I'm gonna take a nap. You wanna come with me?"

I shook my head, "Nah, if I do that I won't sleep tonight."

Camila nodded and walked backwards to enter the bedroom and plop down on the bed.

I started to tip toe away when she yelled out to stop me, "Babe!" I turned my head to give her my attention. "You wanna watch Netflix when I wake up?"

I nodded and hurried out to close the door.

I went down the hallway, passed the loft, to get to my room. The one with a couch, TV, surround sound, all the works. I kept the light off to turn on a small lamp in the corner. It was all the light I needed for the moment.

I walked over to a mini fridge to grab some thot juice. If you don't know what that is, think of those Lime-a-ritas, or straw-beritas by Bud Light. Anything that's fruitier than my ex's brother is known as thot juice.

Camila doesn't know about my secret stashes in here but that's because she hasn't got to venture in here yet. I also have weed hidden somewhere from Abel. It was his wedding present to me. What a lovely fellow.

About 4 minutes of downing the thot juice and taking my pill, I was definitely feeling the effects begin to pile up inside me with a strong reaction of tripping out. Although, at this point I don't mind.

The thought came to me that I needed to find another place that could be my sweet escape.

I'm not going to lie. I like to run away from my issues. I have ever since Camila and I got together. That's because things get too crazy for me and I need somewhere to go to calm down before I do or say something stupid.

But I don't know any places here in LA. Maybe I should consult someone who's been here for a while.

Only one person came to mind and I didn't want to talk to her, but I have no choice. It's either her or no one.

Fuck.

Y/N: hey can I talk to you about something

Ariana: moon! yes of course

Y/N: is there any places around here that I could go where the paps aren't? like maybe somewhere deep in the hills. idk I may be over examining this place but I'm just curious about it

Ariana: yeah there's a place over by the Hollywood sign. I could take you there. they have like cabins and shit.

Y/N: sounds good. when are you free?

Ariana: tomorrow afternoon/night would be good. I got scream queens interviews all tonight and tomorrow morning. you sure camila won't mind?

Y/N: we are looking at cabins not robbing banks.

Ariana: ok moon. see you then :)

I know she's going to use this time to reconstruct our relationship and as long as it doesn't get too flirty, I'll be fine with that. Although, I don't know how I'm gonna tell Camila I'm hanging out with my ex tomorrow.

Camila walked into my room with a whine, "Babe."

"Hm?" I looked over to see her in the doorway with her hair up in a pony.

She was dressed in an oversized shirt that when down right about mid thigh with knee high socks on.

She rubbed her eyes and padded over to me, "Can we watch Netflix now. I don't wanna go to sleep anymore."

"Why not?"

"I had a nightmare." She admitted sadly, crawling on the couch to lay on top of me.

Her head was nuzzled on my chest and I kissed the top of it, "You wanna talk about it?"

She shook her head, "No. Let's just watch a movie. Not a scary one."

"Okay." I responded while grabbing the tv remote to turn it on and journey to Netflix.

"Thank you, baby." Camila whispered, staring at the screen.

"For what?"

"Protecting me." She softly responded, "I always feel safer in your arms."

"That's what I'm here for, babe." I told her.