forty-two

The cab dropped me off at Mike's mansion. After paying the driver, I grabbed my bags from the trunk and watched as the yellow vehicle sped off to its next destination.

A short breath left my mouth as I made my way to the front door and let myself in.

My shaky voice yelled out from the foyer of the house, "Mikey! I need you."

Michael walked around the corner, holding Nicholas in his arms, with a surprised face, "Y/N, I didn't expect you."

"You shouldn't. I didn't expect myself to be here either." My voice was beginning to break just like my heart was. I didn't care if he was holding that little piece of shit. I stomped over and pulled them both into a hug and started crying on his shoulder.

"Uh- okay." Mike was caught off guard but pulled one arm around my waist. "Let me go put Nicholas down for a nap and you can go get a beer out so we can talk."

I pulled away and nodded, heading straight for the fridge to get a bottle of happiness. Or the only thing close enough to happiness that I'd get right now.

I started chugging down the drink like it was nothing. Two minutes in and I was already done, getting up to go get another. I needed to drown my thoughts in something instead of cutting. Plus, this liquid courage will give me the strength to tell Mikey why I'm here and why I made such a rash decision.

Michael walked in with a rested glance, "So, let's start with why you're here."

"I'm quitting as of tomorrow." I told him after taking another swig of the new bottle.

He grabbed his own beer from the fridge and twisted the cap off, "And why do you say that?"

"I'm tired of all the secrets, Mike. I know I made a mistake keeping everything from everyone but I honesty don't have anymore secrets left. Now, all this bullshit keeps piling up."

"How so?" He sat down across from me at the table.

"You know that crazy bitch that is taking care of the girls?" He nodded, "She punishes them by beating them. I walked into the girls house and Camila had a bruise on her cheek. When I asked her what happened, she told me to leave. So, I did." I had to take another sip to calm my nerves. "I just don't get it. Maybe I should've just stayed Camila's little secret." I looked down at my fingers on the table and frowned, "Maybe I should've just left Camila when she was with Austin." I felt myself tear up and my bottom lip began trembling.

"Don't say that." Mike insisted.

"It's true. If it wasn't for me, Camila wouldn't have felt the need to cheat, I wouldn't have become reliant on pills or cutting. Maybe I'm just over thinking all of this but it seems like all of this is my fault."

"You got to remember she loves you."

"And I love her, too. That's the problem." I took another drink before responding, "But this has to end."

--

There was this overpass in downtown Houston that was rarely used. Below it, cars would go about 80 miles per hour in a 60mph zone. It was always busy under there but never on top of the overpass. Mostly because people didn't know how to get up there.

When I was little and my parents would hurt me, I would run off to this overpass because Mike would take me here. We'd sit on the edge at night and look at the stars as bright car lights flashed by underneath us.

The only reason why I stopped coming here was because my parents found me out there late at night and I got hurt worse than before because I ran away.