"Photograph"

A/N: Hey all! It's March! 🍀 That means springtime is just around the corner, and that fact fills me with all sorts of happy feelings.🌸 I love how Spring represents rebirth and new beginnings. I think it's a chance for all of us to let go of the past and move forward. It shows us that it's okay to start over. I hope that whoever needed to hear that gets something inspirational out of it.

Now, onto the content. iamweird552 sent me a special request to use handwritten 'letters' in a story, and this was the result. I hope it's what you had in mind. Happy reading, everyone!
Song: "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran
Rating: Everyone

***Mac's POV***

"MacGyver, you have mail." My squad leader throws an envelope on my mattress and I smile, knowing exactly what's inside. It's a hot, dry Afghanistan morning as I pull a fresh t-shirt over my head and pick up the piece of mail.

"Your pen pal?" Jack asks me with a sly grin.

"I know you think it's stupid. But..."

"Do you even know who this person is you've been writing to for months?"

"No. But, does it matter?"

He sighs. I know he thinks I'm walking around with blinders on. "I see how your eyes get all googly when you read them and the way you perk up when you find out you've got mail. You have feelings for this unknown, elusive woman."

"She's not entirely unknown. She signs them with her first name, and there's a return address."

Jack snatches the envelope from my hand but shakes his head. "This is a PO Box in California. It could literally be anyone writing these. Hell, it might not even really be a woman."

I steal hack the envelope and tear it open, deciding to ignore Jack's suspicious suggestions.

I read:

March 16th

Dear Mac,

I know it's been a while since I've written. My business has been booming, and we've been working on the expansions for the past few weeks. I'm so excited about all of the new developments. It's funny because I had a meeting with the architect the other day, and he was talking about sines and cosines - all things trigonometry - and I instantly thought of you. I know you've said how people find it annoying when you start talking 'geek.' But, from my experience, it's actually kind of fascinating.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you and Jack are getting along. I know it was rough when you were first teamed up together, but hang in there. You'll be true friends in no time; I can feel it. And hopefully, you'll be home before you know it.

In all honesty, when I think about you coming back to the states, my heart flutters a little bit. Even though I know we've never actually met, I feel like I've known you for years just by reading your letters. I know the point of this pen-pal program is to keep soldiers connected to home. But, this exchange has done so much for me, too - So much more than you'll know. Your letters always bring a smile to my face, and I only hope mine do the same for you. So, keep these letters close to your heart and always remember what you're fighting for. I hope we can meet in person one day soon. I'm thinking about you every single day.

Stay safe.

Y/N

"Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes. But, it's the only thing that I know. When it gets hard, you know it can get hard sometimes, it is the only thing that makes us feel alive."