"Don't Let Me Forget"

A/N: Hello all! Shout out to Livelovelaugh133 for sending me this story request! I used the song "Don't Let Me Forget" by Catherine McGrath. Thanks for all the love! And, of course, happy reading! 📖 💙

***

"Today is one of those I wish that I could frame or keep it on a video, replay it over and over, just replay it over and over."

"Shoot!" you exclaim as water starts boiling over onto the stove. Grabbing oven mits, you quickly move the pot off of the hot burner.

Meanwhile, your homemade sauce is sizzling away. When you grab a spoon to stir it, you notice that it's beginnings to stick to the bottom of the pot.

"I told you we should've just gotten take out." Mac tells you, walking into the kitchen.

You sigh, frustrated. "I am deeply offended by that statement. I'm not that bad... usually."

He raises his eyebrows at you, gesturing to your failed meal prep. "Well you're not very good."

"I see your point. But, I'm better than you," you jest.

"Touché."

"Okay, this is only a little burnt on the bottom," you admit while scraping the bottom of the pan. "So, I think if we eat it off the top it'll be okay. You grab a spoonful, holding it out to Mac. "Here, taste it."

You wait for his reaction as he tries it. He doesn't really react, and you're afraid he's just hiding his disgust.

"It's um... well, it's different."

"Ah, man. This is hopeless. I just wanted to make a decent meal. Look," you hold out your hand to Mac. "I cut this finger and burned this one, and I have nothing to show for it!"

He takes both your hands, kissing both injured fingers. "Hey," he takes you by the waist, pulling you in close. "It's not your fault that you're a terrible cook."

Pouting, you hit him on the shoulder. "Rude. I don't think I wanna talk to you anymore," you reply playfully.

"I'm sorry, but it's true."

You remove yourself from his grasp and turn away. He reaches for you, but you jump out of the way. With ninja speed, you make a run for it so he can't catch you.

"Y/N..."

"Guess you'll have to catch me!"

But, you don't get far before he catches up to you in the living room, grabbing you and picking you up off your feet. You lightly squeal as his arms spin you around until you land on the couch together. With a thud, you both start laughing so hard until your stomach hurts.

After catching your breath, still lying on top of his body, you cup Mac's face, just staring at him for a moment.

"What are you doing?" he inquires.

"Just taking in this moment. I don't ever want to forget it." You savor the feeling of the two of you together. "I want to feel like this forever."

"Me too." He smiles, watching you adoringly. "So.... what do you say? Takeout?"

You just laugh. "Yeah, but you're buying."

***

The next day, you come home from work after a long, grueling day. You immediately pull off your shoes, tossing them on the floor along with your purse. With a sigh, you roll your shoulders, trying to relieve the tension from this hectic day. You leisurely meander into the kitchen while shuffling through the mail in your hand.