"Visiting Hours"

A/N: Hello Wattpad world! I know it's been forever since I updated, and I am truly sorry for that. But, I'm finally back to fulfill a request from ElizabethDodson0. You may remember one of my stories from a while ago, titled "'Before You Go,'" but if you haven't or need a refresher, I would recommend reading that one before this one because this is a second part! I hope everyone is doing well out there, and of course, I hope you enjoy this one! It has quickly become very special to me as a writer. Much love! -C 💚💚💚
Song: "Visiting Hours" by Ed Sheeran
Rating: Everyone

***Y/N's POV***

The springs of the old mattress beneath me bounce as I turn over in bed, and I stretch my muscles as I reach for Mac's side without even opening my eyes. But, they flutter open slowly when the only thing my palm touches is the cool, empty sheets where his warm body should be.

When I lift my head to search the dark room, I'm met with the realization by the illuminated clock on the nightstand that it's only 4 in the morning. Where is he? It's no secret he's been acting strangely the past few days. He's been uncharacteristically distant, and I think I might know why.

When I push back the covers and stand in my pursuit to find him, my head rushes and I have to sit back down as a short-lived wave of nausea rushes through me. Sometimes I still forget that my body is no longer my own, and my little one is clearly not a morning person. Pathetically, I still haven't been able to find the right moment to tell Mac he's going to be a dad. With how distant he's been lately and so much going on at work, I'm hesitant to add something this big to the mix. I know I have to tell him soon; I can't hide the truth forever. But, I wish he would tell me what has him so preoccupied. Maybe then I'd build the courage.

With a few paces through the hallway, I find Mac out in the living room, exactly where I figured he'd be, fidgeting with some paperclips.

I crouch down next to him silently, sitting cross-legged on the floor, and he turns my way briefly as if he's been startled.

"Sorry. Did I scare you?"

"Just startled from my thoughts. What are you doing awake? Did I wake you?"

"No. I just woke up and you weren't there." I watch as he bends the malleable metal in his nimble fingers and finally ask, "Are you going to ever tell me what's been bothering you?"

He just shrugs. "Nothing's bothering me. I just can't sleep."

"Have you ever stopped to think that there must be some reason you can't sleep? Don't lie to me, Mac. I know you better than this."

Even in the dark shadowed room, I can see tears begin to well in his eyes, and my heart sinks. I know he's been bothered lately. But, This is not what I expected. Then, as if the dam holding all his emotions back has broken, the tears begin to flow faster and faster like a free-falling waterfall. Panicked, my heart aches even deeper. I scoot closer, brows knitted together, and bring a hand to his face, doing my best to console him. But, that just sends him over the edge further. "Hey, Mac. Shhh. It's okay."

I bring his head to rest on my shoulder, holding him tight against my body for several moments, brushing a hand over his back as the tears cascade down his face.

I'm terrified that I've broken him, but I don't show it.

"I'm sorry," he finally whimpers.

"Don't be. But, please tell me what's going on," I beg with newfound concern.

"It's just, the other day at the graveyard hit me harder than I expected. It's been an entire year since Charlie died, and I've been thinking about that and all the people I've lost... and how things with my dad still haven't really improved since our big blow up that day a year ago. I feel like I've had this weight on my chest for the past year, and I guess it all just kind of bubbled to the surface."