"You Will Always Be My Son"

A/N: Hello everyone! I'm so excited because I am celebrating one year since I started writing MacGyver fanfics! I just want to take a moment to thank every single one of you for reading! When I started writing, I never imagined how much love and support I would get, but I have ALL of you to thank for it. ❤️❤️❤️
With that being said, this one is kind of a "sequel" to one of my "mini series." It takes place after my story titled "I've Been Waiting For You." For inspiration, I used the song "You Will Always Be My Son" by Anthem Lights. Thank you to unofficialargent for requesting this! Love you guys!
Rating: Everyone

***

"I'm picturing your life, how the years will all play out. And whatever you do, just know that I'm already proud."

You're lying in bed reading one of the many pregnancy books stacked on your bedside table. It seems that the past twenty weeks have consisted of nothing but reading and researching about pregnancy and parenting. After all, you can never be too prepared. Plus, after the struggle you went through to get here, you don't want anything to go wrong.

"Hey, babe," you say to Mac as he steps through the door, a towel wrapped around his waist, after taking a shower. "This book says the baby is currently the size of a mango."

Mac grabs his pajama pants, and he pulls a clean t-shirt over his head as he replies, "Why does everyone do that?"

"Do what?"

"Compare babies to fruit?"

You pause for a second, considering. You never thought about it before, but you realize it is kind of weird. "I don't know. That's a good question," you chuckle.

Running a hand through his damp hair, Mac plops down on the bed next to you, lying on his side. He places a hand over your growing bump. "Hey there little mango," he jokes. Then he redirects his attention to you, "You know, maybe we should add that to our list of potential names."

"Haha, very funny."

"No, seriously, we could name him Mango MacGyver."

You wrinkle your nose. "I think I'm going to have to veto that one."

"Okay, fair enough." Mac turns his attention back to your growing stomach. "So, I guess Mango is out. What do you think, little man?"

At that moment, for the first time ever, you feel a little flutter across your stomach. It's as if a tiny butterfly flapped its wings. "Oh my gosh!" Wide-eyed, you look to Mac who is looking back at you equally wide-eyed. "Did you feel that?"

"Yeah. Was that...?"

"He just kicked!"

Ecstatic, you can't stop smiling at the feeling.

Mac sits awestruck. Deep down, his mind is racing with thoughts. For the first time, this has finally become real to him. He's going to be a father. This tiny human being is going to call him 'Dad.'

***

Later that night, after you've fallen asleep, Mac tries so hard to go to sleep, but his mind just won't stop racing.

What kind of father will I be? What if I screw everything up? These are the thoughts that incessantly run through his mind.

***

The following day, you can tell Mac just isn't himself. If there's anyone in the world who can tell when something's up with him, it's you. After all this time, you can practically read him like a book.