"The Fighter"

A/N: Welcome back! This next request comes from unofficialargent who asked me to write a Part 2 to my story titled "Perfectly Wrong." So, that's what I did! (P.s. I suggest reading that story before this one if you haven't already.)
Let me know what you think! 😊🖇
Song: "The Fighter" by Keith Urban (ft. Carrie Underwood)
Rating: Everyone

***

It's been a trying couple of months. But, if you've learned anything, it's that resilience is powerful.

Your life was completely turned upside down when you decided to leave that night, but you made the best of it. You're happier than you've ever been, and that's mostly due to the immense amount of support you've had from Mac.

You're living with Mac now, and you decided to go back to college to finish your degree. Finally, for the first time in your life, you have stability.

Perhaps the most rewarding aspect of the total 180 degree turn your life has taken is the friendships you've gained. Mac's friends have become your friends, and they've all been so welcoming to you that they already feel like family.

So, it's become kind of a weekly routine that you all gather together, just hanging out, sharing stories, and having fun.

"I know he hurt you, made you scared of love, too scared to love. He didn't deserve you 'cause you're precious heart is a precious heart. He didn't know what he had, and I thank God. It's gonna take just a little time, but you're gonna see that I was born to love you."

But, tonight, as you watch your friends laughing and reminiscing, your mind is preoccupied with other thoughts. Standing off to the side and leaning against the railing of the patio, Mac follows you.

"You okay?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"Something's bothering you," he insists. "Is it about last night?"

You look his way but don't say anything. That's enough of an answer.

Last night, you and Mac were laying in bed, comfortably snuggled in together after a romantic date night. Then, just as you were about to doze off, he whispered "I love you."

Until now, you didn't know that he knew you were awake to hear him say it. Something about him saying it just set off this uneasy feeling. You know it shouldn't have. But, it's hard to explain.

"You knew I was awake?" you ask him.

"Yeah," he admits. "Honestly, I wasn't expecting you to say anything back. But, now you've been acting strange all day. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

"It's not that. It's not that I don't love you," you assure. "But," you stop, knowing that what you're about to say may sound stupid from his point of view. "What if I don't deserve this? You. All of this." You gesture to your friends seated a few feet away around the fire pit.

"Look in the mirror. You're beautiful, so beautiful. I'm here to remind you you're my only one. Let me be the one to heal all the pain that he put you through with a love like you never knew. Just let me show you."

"Y/N, I know you went through something incredibly painful. He made you feel unworthy, unwanted, and unlovable. And I know anything I say won't take that away. But, nevertheless, I will keep telling you how worthy you are every day for the rest of my life. You deserve to feel so much love, and I know you have to figure this all out in your own time. But, I'm here to help you."

"I know, Mac," you tell him, truly in awe of his love for you. "Thank you."

***