"Lazy Day Afternoon"

A/N: Hey everyone! Huge thanks to AWSmith for requesting this story. It's just cute and fluffy, which is exactly what we all need after that last MacGyver episode 😭 (I promise no spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet). Anyway, I hope you guys like this one! ❤️
Song: "Lazy Day Afternoon" by Plain White T's
Rating: Everyone

***

6 AM alarm, get dressed, coffee, fight traffic, work, home, dinner, shower, glass of wine, sleep, repeat...

Repeat....

Repeat....

That's your usual daily routine - monotonous, boring, and tiring.

...But, not today.

"Nothing's going on, but I don't care. Leave me here, don't take me anywhere. Why should I get up when I've got nothing to do? Just another lazy day afternoon."

Your 6AM alarm beeps incessantly on the nightstand, forcing you awake. Stretching your sleepy muscles, you groan at the still-heavy feeling of your eyelids. Mac's been gone since 5 AM, and the house feels completely quiet, absolutely serene. You could fall right back to sleep without even the slightest bit of effort.

You groan and curl up into a ball at the familiar monthly cramping feeling in your abdomen, not to mention the throbbing in your head from the beginning of a migraine.

You pull the blankets up over your entire body, stretching the cotton fabric all the way to your neck. You savor the warm feeling of being swaddled in complete coziness like a comfy little butterfly in her cacoon.

"It's time for a day off," you groan.

It's been months and months of nonstop work - no days off. In fact, you can't even remember the last time you took a day off. You more than deserve to treat yourself to a day of doing absolutely nothing.

So, slapping your alarm off, you let yourself doze.

***

It's 9 AM until you awaken once again and you decide to coax yourself out of bed.

After an extended, soothing shower, you pull your wet hair into a messy bun and throw on sweatpants and one of Mac's oversized t-shirts.

In the quiet kitchen you fry some bacon, make your favorite bagel, and prepare a mug of hot tea - all the best comfort breakfast foods to fuel and warm your senses.

Seated at the kitchen island, you sigh and cradle your head in your hands. "Why must women be put through hell every four weeks?" you ask yourself as you swallow two Advil and eat your breakfast.

"Afternoon, when everybody's workin'. I'd rather be a jerk and lay around. Afternoon, this day is just too perfect. Just another lazy day afternoon."

After a few hours of just lounging on the couch and occasionally trying to find something decent on TV or read the book you've been trying to finish for the past three months, you hear a car pull up in the driveway.

Moments later, Mac walks through the door, surprised to see you. "You're here."

You throw the TV remote to the side, which joins the book you did the same with about an hour ago. "I decided to take a day off. My uterus is currently punishing me. And I've been trying to kick this migraine all day."

"Ah. Gotcha." Mac pulls of his jacket, throwing it on a nearby chair, before joining you on the couch.

"I didn't think you'd be home yet," you tell him.

"We finished early, and Matty didn't have a new assignment for us."

"So, we're both home with nothing to do?"

Mac nods, thinking. "Hey, I think this calls for some 'Netflix and chill.'"

You chuckle, amused at even the thought of those words coming out of his mouth. "I still don't think you quite understand the true meaning behind that saying."

"Whatever. The point is, this is our first chance in forever to do absolutely nothing." He stands, grabbing his jacket once again and pulling it on. "I'll be back."

"Where are you going?"

"To get food. Anything special you want me to bring?"

"Mm, surprise me."

With a wink, he's gone.

***

Mac comes back a little while later, a pizza box and drink carrier in hand.

"I got pizza from your favorite place and..." he holds out a cup, and you know exactly what it is just by the logo on the front. "... milkshakes."

"Peanut butter swirl?!" you ask excitedly.

"Of course. They are your favorite after all."

"Have I mentioned how much I love you?" You give him a peck on the cheek before taking the cup and stealing a slice of pizza from the box.

"A few times. But, I never get tired of hearing it."

You take a bite of the pizza - savoring the warm cheesy goodness on your tongue. "I love you, Mac. But, I think I love pizza more."

"Is that so? I guess I'll have to try harder next time to win you over," he jokes. "How are you feeling?"

"A little better."

You plop back onto the sofa with a contented sigh, pizza in one hand and milkshake in the other.

"So, what do you want to do?" Mac asks from the kitchen.

"I think Netflix is calling our name."

He comes back out to the living area moments later with both a cold pack and a heat pack. He hands them both to you. "Cold one for your head and heat for the cramps."

"Thanks." He joins you on the couch with a fluffy blanket and covers both your bodies with it. You smile at how thoughtful he is. "You know, you really are the best boyfriend in the world."

"I doubt that. But, I appreciate the sentiment."

You quickly settle in together. Once your stomach is full of goodness, Mac asks, "So, what do you wanna watch?"

"Ratchet?" you ask, hopeful.

He cringes. "That show is so creepy."

"Oh, I know. It's creepy as hell, which is exactly why I can't stop watching it."

"Okaaaay, but just remember you asked for it."

"Beautiful day outside, but I don't care. Everything I need I got right here. Why should I go out? Why should I even move? Just another lazy day afternoon."

As the afternoon slowly fades into evening and night, you both enjoy the peacefulness of this rare time spent together.

You lay next to Mac on the couch, pressed against his warm body and his arms wrapped tightly around your frame. Your head lies comfortably in the crook of his neck. Eventually, your eyes grow heavy, and you feel a light kiss on the top of your head before you drift off to sleep, still tangled on the couch together.