"Different"

A/N: Hello all! Welcome back! Thank you to Lilianasfood007 for this song request! I really enjoyed writing this one, so I hope you all like it! 😘❤️
Song: "Different" by Anne Marie
Rating: Everyone

***

"I'm tired of the same old thing. I need something new, something other than you. I'm tired of the usual, tired of the same."

You sit at a quiet table in the corner of the restaurant, hands folded on your lap and beyond frustrated. The guy across from you, who you're supposed to be on a first date with, stares down at his phone, typing endlessly.

You purse your lips, rolling your eyes. But, he's too preoccupied by whatever he's looking at on that cursed device to even notice.

"So..."," you start, trying to break the ice.

"Hold on." He points his finger at you, and your eyes go wide in response.

Did he seriously just point his finger at me? you ask yourself, beyond fed up with this entire situation.

"I have to finish these emails," he announces in a tone that suggests your pure existence has annoyed him.

You give it another few seconds, trying not to be too rash. But, then he begins to laugh obnoxiously and arrogantly at something he's reading. He gives you an, "Almost done."

Oh, hell no. That's it.

You stand, the legs of your chair making a hissing scratch on the floor beneath, "Oh, don't rush. In fact, you can gladly finish the rest of this 'date' by yourself. Have a nice time," you tell him, sarcasm dripping from your voice. You pull your purse forcefully from the back of your chair and storm out, refusing to look back.

***

"I know I can't love you, at least not in that way, 'cause baby I'm too used to you, too used to your face, too used to your ways, too used to the games that you play."

You sigh when you get back to your lonely San Fransisco apartment. Removing your heels and throwing your purse by the couch, you make your way to the bathroom, taking a moment to look yourself in the mirror - from your perfectly contoured makeup, to your signature red lip, to you hair pulled up neatly in a perfect updo.

"Why is every single guy I go out with a total douche?" you ask yourself. "What the hell is wrong with me?" You glance up at the ceiling. "I'm starting to think someone up there has it out for me."

After a short pity-party, you find your phone and check it for the first time all night. You find that you have three missed calls and a voicemail from an unfamiliar number.

You quickly press play, bringing the phone to your ear, and the woman on the other end starts, "This message is for Ms, Y/L/N. My name is Jackie. I'm a nurse at UCLA Medical Center. I'm calling about your grandmother. Please give me a call back when you get this message."

Panicked, your heart begins to beat faster, and an uneasy feeling forms in the pit of your stomach. Your grandmother lives alone in LA, and she is the only family you have left. If something has happened to her... Your mind trails off in every direction. You've always dreaded a phone call like this.

You quickly redial the number, and the nurse answers after a couple rings.

You tell her, "This is Y/F/N, I'm returning a message about my grandmother...... A fall? How bad was it?......... Okay, thank you for contacting me. I'll be there as soon as I can."